FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By DeathMob
I am wondering about this. I know that they can eat spiders and if the plants are outside they can handle themselves, but what about spider cocoons? I’m sure that there is a cocoon with meat in it if you stick some tweezers in it and see if there is any meat that she may have saved for later. What do you guys think?
By Fieldofscreams
Insects aren't meat.

I don't know what you mean by meat inside the cocoon that she is saving for later.

I don't think spiders put anything inside their egg sacks, just eggs.
By DeathMob
Fieldofscreams wrote:Insects aren't meat.

I don't know what you mean by meat inside the cocoon that she is saving for later.

I don't think spiders put anything inside their egg sacks, just eggs.
Dude, most spiders first numb their victims, then they cocoon them in their spinweb and save them for later. She cocoons them so they won’t get away and stay fresh. She doesn’t eat all of her prey right away. She will eat them when she is good and hungry. After she eats her cocooned prey it will be hollow like some sort of shell.

Egg sacks usually look like white fluffy cotton balls hanging on several strands of webbing.
By DeathMob
Fieldofscreams wrote:And what species of spider does that?
If you YouTube spiders cocooning prey or google it you’ll find out what species. Besides haven’t you seen eight legged freaks? Or Lord of the rings? We’ll spoil alert those spiders cocooned people and one hobbit to be eaten. Did they survive? Well that’s for you to find out.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Fieldofscreams wrote:Insects aren't meat.
Yes they are. Meat is considered to be the muscle of an animal. Insects are animals, and have muscles, so they have meat, even if it is really small and encased in a exoskeleton.
By Fieldofscreams
Just because insects have muscle (only one kind BTW) does not mean that they break down and decompose the same way.

Don't believe me? Put a dead grass hopper next to a chunk of beef about the same size and observe them for a month. Bet you wont think its the same thing anymore after doing that.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Fieldofscreams wrote:Just because insects have muscle (only one kind BTW) does not mean that they break down and decompose the same way.

Don't believe me? Put a dead grass hopper next to a chunk of beef about the same size and observe them for a month. Bet you wont think its the same thing anymore after doing that.
Ok well, that still makes it meat. That's like saying a toad isn't an amphibian because it doesn't have slimy skin like a salamander. Things under the same category can still have differences, as long as those differences don't contradict the criteria for that category.
By DeathMob
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:
Fieldofscreams wrote:Just because insects have muscle (only one kind BTW) does not mean that they break down and decompose the same way.

Ok well, that still makes it meat. That's like saying a toad isn't an amphibian because it doesn't have slimy skin like a salamander. Things under the same category can still have differences, as long as those differences don't contradict the criteria for that category.
Exactly, they both bleed don't they? They have guts and ogans and a tiny brain. So what if they decompose at different rates. Also get a bunch of grass hoppers in a bag or something and open it in a week or so what do you smell? Decay!!! They are not considered a vegetable. LMAO!!!!
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!