FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By goodoldboy911
Hi all,
New into this forum and I really can use your expert help. A friend of mine gave me a small glass bottle with a venus fly trap inside in a gel media. I am sure you have all seen these things around. Anyway it is starting to get sooo full I need help on how to save these little guys. I have been doing a lot of reading about all this TC and stuff and from what I see it is time to transfer these guys to another gel media for more growth and ROOTS. What media do I need for this?? So many MS available with so much diff on each. or just buy the little $11.00 kit on this board for rootgrow kits with all the powders and gel needed?? This really looks like a challenge and something to do in my spare time. Sure appreciate any help I can get since there are sooo many different forums and everyone has something different to offer.. Learning all kinds of neat stuff about these little guys.

Thanks all,
JEFF
By Shadowtski
First of all, Welcome to the Forum!

I think you should get your FlyTrap of of the goo and introduce it to the real world.

Tissue culture is a fine techinique for propagating plants but those plants should be introduced to normal conditions as soon as possible.

Matt, the SysAdmin here has posted some excellent care and feeding pages for growing FlyTraps. Check them out at www.flytrapcare.com.

Just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
By goodoldboy911

Here is a picture of my little vft in the bottle. Has added many more branches since this photo, none of which are showing any root. Read that I have to break them up and transplant them into ROOTING MS gel and than after that maybe I can trans to real media.

Thanks for your suggestions. Will check out link.

JEFF
By Shadowtski
goodoldboy911 wrote:Image

Here is a picture of my little vft in the bottle. Has added many more branches since this photo, none of which are showing any root. Read that I have to break them up and transplant them into ROOTING MS gel and than after that maybe I can trans to real media.

Thanks for your suggestions. Will check out link.

JEFF
I bought some TC Drosera slackii. There were no roots on them, just a small chunk of callus. I washed them thoroughly after deflasking. I popped them into a typical peat mix and bagged them. They grew roots in normal media like a cutting normally does. It's over two years later and they're still happy.

Good growing,
Mike
Drosera slackii from TC
Drosera slackii from TC
DSC07770.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 2078 times
By Volmen
That’s a cute little guy, but ya definitely should get him into some dirt! From the looks of it he should definitely be developing larger traps

I posted a forum on soil blends awhile back! That should help you make your own! Personally I prefer the 50-30-20 mix. But a premade mix is good to, just be careful most dirts unless specified to be made for Venus flytraps will probably kill em! Due to their intolerance to nutrients in soil.

Venus Flytrap Soil Blends
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!