FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By nuck
Alright here is the mega update I have making you all wait for! Tons of pictures to go around this update, however I did filter through them, and deleted the unnecessary ones, so it won't be SUUuuuper big!

However...

I did record a video, and I will post it on this post, as well as the newly introduced ToC (Table of Contents) post on the first page of this thread. I also have some updates on the other Specimen Jars, if anybody is interested, along with a couple bonus pictures at the end. ;)

So to start off, let's focus on Specimen Jar 'I' where we left off. A lot has changed in terms of growth for both plants, and animals.

Utricularia Gibba (Humped Bladderwort), from its humble beginnings slowly acclimated back to the reality it was now in, and has surged back from its tiny stems like a Phoenix rebirthed from ash. With the growth of new traps, it has managed to suck in multiple prey, and fertilize itself even further than through the nutrients present within the water. Growth is noticeable within days.

Duckweed now fully established, and dominating the jarrarium as a major food source, and oxygen source. Its collective roots hang like jungle vines, almost reaching the surface floor. It has boosted population capacity by providing extra resting space, and breathable oxygen for the residents inside.

Hornwort is budding within the jarrarium. What I have observed is that it always seems to stay at a certain size, either because of (a.) not enough sunlight, and nutrients to absorb, combined with the competition it has with its other cousins (b.) algae tends to fester around the tendrils of the Hornwort, and usually becomes a bid of whether the HW manages to weather it out or not. Whatever the cause, I believe it will prosper in this current state.

Anubius is now falling to pieces, literally. The seed shrimp society along with other detrivores present, slowly breaks down the decaying plant. Once a skeleton of its former shell, now a heap of plant matter, and that is the result of not acclimating new plants. Along with the help of our next subject.

Algae has constantly been in decline. However, it may have setup beneath the soil, safe from the competition of its more advanced cousins, and predators. I am unsure if the organisms have attempted to farm the algae, but I have noticed that there always tends to be a little patch of algae that never seems to fade away.

Ostracod (Seed Shrimp) litter the jar, working constantly beneath the thin layer of detritus mixed w/soil doing lord knows what. They constantly shuffle beneath the layer coming in constant contact with the detritus worms. Their volume is so great, that swarms of them migrate into the northern Duckweed wilderness. They seem to have mostly forgotten about the Gibba plant; not their fault though, oral legends usually aren't the best methods of preserving knowledge.

Malaysian Trumpet Snail population has been dormant. I see them from time to time rather than constantly like I used to. Could be good or bad, as it could signify good oxygen content. Could also mean that they are being outcompeted for food, and their population is slowly withering away. I will have to observe them at night *mental note*.

Naididae (Detritus Worms) population has decreased as seed shrimp outcompete them. I constantly see them spazzing the **** out when the little ostracods swarm them. Seed shrimp seem to be quite an annoyance for everyone else I have noticed.

Cyclops, went extinct many generations ago. However, a cousin might be introduced in its place.

Here is the link to the most recent video: https://youtu.be/j5JAzcEaBSU

Will list pictures in chronological order:
03/22/2018<br />Tons of activity, detritus worms line up against the glass wall.
03/22/2018
Tons of activity, detritus worms line up against the glass wall.

20180322_165545.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 6337 times
03/22/2018<br />In the middle, that piece of Utricularia is an integral part in the restoration of the species as a whole.
03/22/2018
In the middle, that piece of Utricularia is an integral part in the restoration of the species as a whole.

20180322_165709.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 6337 times
03/22/2018<br />Detritus worms sifting through the algae still present on the glass. Algae growth seems to dot the glass rather than enveloping it in times past.
03/22/2018
Detritus worms sifting through the algae still present on the glass. Algae growth seems to dot the glass rather than enveloping it in times past.

20180322_165739.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 6337 times
03/23/2018<br />Overview of the jarrarium. U. Gibba growth is noticeable in just one day.
03/23/2018
Overview of the jarrarium. U. Gibba growth is noticeable in just one day.

20180323_104139.jpg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 6337 times
Here's an example of when the Ostracods weigh plant matter down onto the soil:
03/23/2018
03/23/2018
20180323_120221.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 6337 times
03/23/2018
03/23/2018
20180323_120219.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 6337 times

Here's a couple closeups of the U. Gibba stem:
03/23/2018<br />This one has a better quality focus on the background, yet also in the upper traps, it's clear to see that they're filled with prey.
03/23/2018
This one has a better quality focus on the background, yet also in the upper traps, it's clear to see that they're filled with prey.

20180323_121119.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 6337 times
03/23/2018<br />This photo focuses more clearly on the bottom section of the stem. Here you can observe the seed shrimp chilling on the tendrils near the traps. No wonder the traps are so successful!
03/23/2018
This photo focuses more clearly on the bottom section of the stem. Here you can observe the seed shrimp chilling on the tendrils near the traps. No wonder the traps are so successful!

20180323_121112.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 6337 times
03/23/2018<br />Swarms of seed shrimp.
03/23/2018
Swarms of seed shrimp.

20180323_132727.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 6337 times
03/25/2018<br />Overview of jarrarium. U. Gibba has more growth!
03/25/2018
Overview of jarrarium. U. Gibba has more growth!

20180325_152352.jpg (2.53 MiB) Viewed 6337 times
03/25/2018<br />Hornwort chilling in the midst of it all. :)
03/25/2018
Hornwort chilling in the midst of it all. :)

20180325_152405.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 6337 times
...And here is the last picture for Specimen Jar 'I':
03/27/2018<br />Current growth as of this post. Utricularia will never cease to amaze me!
03/27/2018
Current growth as of this post. Utricularia will never cease to amaze me!

20180327_123130.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 6337 times
Last edited by nuck on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By nuck
As for Specimen Jar 'II', I don't really have much to input other than that it's growth has slowed. I decided to do a water change in it to help combat the algae growth. I have also noticed that the U. Gibba in jar 'II' has begun to root beneath the soil, as demonstrated in these pictures I will post.
03/23/2018<br />This is quite amazing, it acts as if it's a terrestrial Utric. I wonder if it catches any microorganisms living within the submerged soil.
03/23/2018
This is quite amazing, it acts as if it's a terrestrial Utric. I wonder if it catches any microorganisms living within the submerged soil.

20180323_120046.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
Water change:
20180323_104311.jpg
20180323_104311.jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
20180325_153415.jpg
20180325_153415.jpg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
Here is the long awaited for update on Specimen Jar 'III'
Aaaand Specimen Jar 'III' was a failure. However it is not over yet! I have other uses for it.
Aaaand Specimen Jar 'III' was a failure. However it is not over yet! I have other uses for it.
20180323_104449.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 6335 times

*BONUS PICTURES*
Triops eggs.<br />These are around a year old, so I decided to try and grow them in Specimen Jar 'III'. I'm planning on putting them in jar 'I' when they are matured.
Triops eggs.
These are around a year old, so I decided to try and grow them in Specimen Jar 'III'. I'm planning on putting them in jar 'I' when they are matured.

20180322_175000.jpg (2.63 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
Unfortunately this was the best quality I could find of seed shrimp pestering another snail for a ride.
Unfortunately this was the best quality I could find of seed shrimp pestering another snail for a ride.
20180313_173829.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 6333 times
My Pygmy Sundews have emerged from dormancy with just 1 casualty. I feed with fish food once every 2 weeks. Any leftovers will be devoured by the springtail colony before mold is an issue.
My Pygmy Sundews have emerged from dormancy with just 1 casualty. I feed with fish food once every 2 weeks. Any leftovers will be devoured by the springtail colony before mold is an issue.
20180323_111432.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 6333 times
A quickpic of my Isopod culture. I originally had not noticed the third infant Isopod. I believe this Isopod culture is also the birthplace of Potworms, and a reason why they've infested one of my springtail cultures.
A quickpic of my Isopod culture. I originally had not noticed the third infant Isopod. I believe this Isopod culture is also the birthplace of Potworms, and a reason why they've infested one of my springtail cultures.
20180327_182343.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
Adorable.
Adorable.
20180327_182314.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 6335 times
By nuck
So during my observation today, I decided to focus even closer onto the soil. Since over the past days I have been realizing that the seed shrimp would appear in the mid to late afternoon, just to disappear out of no where, and stay out of sight until the next sundown.

I figured they had to burrow beneath the soil to accomplish this magicians act, and my theory was correct. Here is a gif of about 46 pictures. Unfortunately this site cannot handle a bigger file, so I had a backup one that was smaller, thankfully.

Enjoy
Check closely beneath the surface, you can see resting, and dormant Ostracods along with detritus worms alike. Possibly some corpses within the mix.<br />On the surface, you can see the seed shrimp toiling around like ants tending to their colonial home.
Check closely beneath the surface, you can see resting, and dormant Ostracods along with detritus worms alike. Possibly some corpses within the mix.
On the surface, you can see the seed shrimp toiling around like ants tending to their colonial home.

gif (small).gif (1.55 MiB) Viewed 6317 times
Below that I cannot observe as a very thick film of sludge, and algae cover the glass. Maybe the dormant MTS reign this land free of the Ostracods; who knows?

EDIT: Here is the bigger, clearer version. Might take a while to fully load on some rigs, so I'd recommend to set it aside for a couple minutes or so, if that's the case.
https://j.gifs.com/pQ6NOV.gif
By nuck
EDIT: I just realized how hard it is to see the smaller MTS shells in the first two GIFs, I apologize. I guess the GIFing process really ruins the quality of the pictures. Next update I will hopefully have learned how to create my own GIF with a type of photoshop app, like GIMP for example.

So from now on to save space and loading time (for people with slow internet) I will be posting GIFs rather than normal pictures. Although I will still post pictures, just not as much as previously before. However, the amount of time it takes to make these posts will relatively stay the same, as one of the sites I use for the GIF process takes forever to translate pictures into MP4 format, and then I have to convert the MP4 format into GIF format; on top of that, I have to limit the size of my GIFs (because idk, free website?). One day I will take the time to learn how to make GIF's, but as of now I am just going to be lazy.

Now in the first two GIFs I focus on MTS that have breached the surface, although it seems like they're all dead, I speculate that they're all alive as their shells disappear over time, although I am unsure about the two closer to the glass as they stayed in one position in the span of two days (for the days that I paid attention to, at least).

If you have bad sight like me, than check out the original links!
03/30/2018<br />Timelapse focusing on the two snail shells, and halfway through, focuses on the bigger snail shell in the back.
03/30/2018
Timelapse focusing on the two snail shells, and halfway through, focuses on the bigger snail shell in the back.

gif.gif (1.81 MiB) Viewed 6271 times
Original: https://j.gifs.com/Jq2B4P.gif
03/31/18<br />A day later, and the bigger MTS has already moved on to better things. At this point I begin to believe the two MTS in this instance are dead. Not 100% sure though.
03/31/18
A day later, and the bigger MTS has already moved on to better things. At this point I begin to believe the two MTS in this instance are dead. Not 100% sure though.

gif.gif (1.99 MiB) Viewed 6271 times
Original: https://j.gifs.com/PZ9LRn.gif
04/06/2018<br />Top-view of the jarrarium 6 days later.
04/06/2018
Top-view of the jarrarium 6 days later.

gif.gif (1.66 MiB) Viewed 6271 times
https://j.gifs.com/G52lZQ.gif
04/07/2018<br />Bottom-view of the jarrarium.
04/07/2018
Bottom-view of the jarrarium.

gif.gif (1.19 MiB) Viewed 6271 times
https://j.gifs.com/6RvERQ.gif
04/07/2018<br />Now I know I said I would not open the jar, but at this point I believe it will have no major affect on the environment considering the amount of ammonia sucking plants inhabiting the jar, along with the algae (I will still keep jar opening to a minimum/no outside influence other than adding new species). Also to note, Duckweed grows in layers over itself now as it has nowhere else to expand.
04/07/2018
Now I know I said I would not open the jar, but at this point I believe it will have no major affect on the environment considering the amount of ammonia sucking plants inhabiting the jar, along with the algae (I will still keep jar opening to a minimum/no outside influence other than adding new species). Also to note, Duckweed grows in layers over itself now as it has nowhere else to expand.

gif.gif (2.21 MiB) Viewed 6271 times
https://j.gifs.com/Q02ykM.gif

I should also note that the Hornwort has grown considerably, and is now finally able to establish itself. Utric Gibba is also growing like a magic weed, and is the only thing that can curb the evergrowing Seed Shrimp population. Triops insertion was a failure as I have noticed no offspring, eggs may have gone bunk having them in the freezer for 1-2 years.

I also found a throwback video of the jararrium when I introduced the first MTS, but it's only 3 seconds long so I decided not to post it in this update. Maybe I will in the future if anybody is interested, it's quite a huge change from what is originally started out as.
By nuck
Here are the gifs that were supposed to come out in april. Some of the posts after this mention these gifs if anyone is confused about what I'm talking about in updates past this.

https://j.gifs.com/Q0zmQ5.gif
When the Utric first hit the soil. <br />4/8/2018
When the Utric first hit the soil.
4/8/2018

gif.gif (1.62 MiB) Viewed 5966 times
https://j.gifs.com/mQx6lR.gif
Bustling and tussling aquatic metropolis.<br />4/8/2018
Bustling and tussling aquatic metropolis.
4/8/2018

gif (2).gif (1.73 MiB) Viewed 5966 times
https://j.gifs.com/oQzKpY.gif
First sign I got that the MTS had gone extinct, although there were signs in earlier posts that had gone unnoticed in my mind.<br />4/8/2018
First sign I got that the MTS had gone extinct, although there were signs in earlier posts that had gone unnoticed in my mind.
4/8/2018

gif (4).gif (2.27 MiB) Viewed 5966 times
https://j.gifs.com/wmL5Mr.gif
I'm enjoying the light constantly fight back against the shade in this gif. The light movement is caused by the branches on the tree, next to my window, swaying back and forth by the wind.<br />4/8/2018
I'm enjoying the light constantly fight back against the shade in this gif. The light movement is caused by the branches on the tree, next to my window, swaying back and forth by the wind.
4/8/2018

gif (6).gif (1.96 MiB) Viewed 5966 times
https://j.gifs.com/yrN5Q6.gif
The oxygen bubbles were just irresistible to capture.<br />4/15/2018
The oxygen bubbles were just irresistible to capture.
4/15/2018

gif (8).gif (1.4 MiB) Viewed 5966 times
Last edited by nuck on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By nuck
Oooh what's this?
;)
;)
20180424_175254.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 6208 times
Achievement unlocked!
Gibba Pride.png
Gibba Pride.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 6208 times
Gibba Pride
As a small cutting, manage to survive into spring and flower throughout the process.

04/24/2018
By nuck
Hey all, just wanted to chime in that everything is okay, I have amassed a lot of pictures but mostly for gifs that were supposed to be posted 2 months ago.. Yeah I'm a bit late, and I blame it on life issues mixed with lack of motivation/laziness, but I am back, and have some interesting details to tell.

As of now, both specimen jars I, and II are prospering, but one of my gifs meant for release in April, had shown evidence that the MTS had been out-competed into extinction unfortunately. It seemed as if the seed shrimp reveled in this as they had devoured the rotting slimy carcass. This was a double whammy for them as a whole as it created a new home for many more of the Ostracod horde while serving as a food source. I do not have a specific date, but I will just have to guesstimate around the time after I had posted that GIF of the empty MTS shells being hounded by Seed shrimp. On another note, the Utricularia G. has prospered in both jars:

- In jar number one, the Gibba has managed to reach the soil, and begin the anchoring process (this happened around mid-April), but because of this process it has drastically lowered the number of seed shrimp, and truly has become the Apex predator within the mini-biosphere; however, because of this burst of constant energy, and growth I have noticed that the Gibba has shed most of its traps except for the ones closer to the surface. I am unsure as to why this change is happening, especially the benefit of keeping the traps at the top rather than the bottom. I speculate the higher ammonia content combined with the fact that the Utric is heavily established reduces the need for predatory traps.

P.S. the Hornwort has grown tremendously, and comfortably intertwines within the tangled vines of the Utric.

- In jar number two, the Gibba has sprouted at least twice... however because of the enclosed space, the bud at the tip of the sprouts would lean against the very moist glass, and rot to death. Unfortunately we're gonna have to wait until the Gibba sprouts in the middle or somewhere that avoids the glass. On another note, I have discovered life lounging around within the soil, among the intruding vines of the Gibba. Seed Shrimp, possibly descendants of the first colony I had established back in the very start of Specimen Jar II. Honestly, I thought they had become prey to the overwhelming swathes of Gibba, but they instead burrowed into the less dense, and airy, peat substrate.
When the Utric began to root into the soil, and create a network of vines, it also increased the amount of trapped oxygen bubbles within the soil, on top of creating more room for the Ostracods to reproduce (by pushing out the soil to compensate for plant growth). I've noticed however that these Seed shrimp (the adults mostly) tend to not move around, if at all, and was quite hard for me to point out for a moment, but seeing the seedlin- *cough* shrimplings zoom around in the subterranean tunnels was quite the sight! I assume this change in movement patterns is because of the lack of space for optimal swimming combined with the dangers of underground Gibba traps, trapped pockets of air, and light penetration.

I would post pictures of my recent observations, but it is quite late right now, and have work in the morning. So hopefully I can update tomorrow, but if not, then sometime this weekend.
By nate7891
I've been growing my utric subulata now for about 7 months in a terrestrial jar setup, I am now going to venture into an aquatic adventure with from gibba. I have a plan now, but I am curious to ask what you used for your layer of soil at the bottom?
By nuck
nate7891 wrote:I've been growing my utric subulata now for about 7 months in a terrestrial jar setup, I am now going to venture into an aquatic adventure with from gibba. I have a plan now, but I am curious to ask what you used for your layer of soil at the bottom?
Peat, layered with sand. The sand I used came from outside, I rinsed it out until water was clear, then put it in the oven for around 30-50 minutes to sterilize it (stray cats probably used it as a litter box so I threw the pan out). I also broke up a little clay tile and clay pottery, rinsed it, then put it in along with dead sticks and leaves. I added that before the peat/sandy mix.

To answer another persons question through PM, no i did not buy any organisms, it is all self made with no intervention other than dropping some wood chips into the water (I'm assuming that's where the seed shrimp came from). However I did go to PetSmart to get the MTS's.

Apologies for lack of update but at this point I've lost motivation for the project. Both jars are doing exceptionally well. I also found a whole bunch of Dragonfly nymphs in my rainwater filled pool (monsoon season) along with one survivor out of the batch of triops eggs that I dropped in there a couple months ago (surprised the heck out of me when I saw it swimming around my feet). I have pictures, but I'm just super lazy and dis-motivated to post them atm. I will post them when I decide to but I wouldn't plan on it.

Apologies to anybody who finds this project interesting and has been patiently awaiting an update.
By nuck
What are these? Reproductive organs or some type of buoy-like stem?<br />8/5/2018
What are these? Reproductive organs or some type of buoy-like stem?
8/5/2018

20180805_132742.jpg (2.65 MiB) Viewed 5973 times
Red circles indicate dragonfly nymphs. I saw some devour the little seed shrimps but they ended up passing on. I speculate either stress, starvation, ammonia shock, or ph shock.<br />07/21/2018
Red circles indicate dragonfly nymphs. I saw some devour the little seed shrimps but they ended up passing on. I speculate either stress, starvation, ammonia shock, or ph shock.
07/21/2018

20180721_144209.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 5973 times
https://j.gifs.com/nryXwY.gif
Triops digging in presumably months worth pile of ostracod feces. Gross.<br />07/21/2018
Triops digging in presumably months worth pile of ostracod feces. Gross.
07/21/2018

gif (3).gif (1.04 MiB) Viewed 5973 times
https://j.gifs.com/N9wjqK.gif
Still digging.<br />07/21/2018
Still digging.
07/21/2018

gif (1).gif (1.12 MiB) Viewed 5973 times
I eventually released the triop back into my pool the same day, I felt bad for it since it kept getting caught in the utric.
Last edited by nuck on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By nuck
Here's something else I noticed about the Jararrium. Particularly the Duckweed.
Take note how the Duckweed have adapted to the lack of space by forming into smaller leaves. It could possibly be a sign of death as well, I might need to conduct a W/C.<br />8/5/2018
Take note how the Duckweed have adapted to the lack of space by forming into smaller leaves. It could possibly be a sign of death as well, I might need to conduct a W/C.
8/5/2018

20180805_141146.jpg (3.16 MiB) Viewed 5991 times
Red circles indicate Utricularia stems that have broken the surface. Interesting.<br />8/5/2018
Red circles indicate Utricularia stems that have broken the surface. Interesting.
8/5/2018

20180805_141209.jpg (2.3 MiB) Viewed 5991 times
https://j.gifs.com/APZoj9.gif
When I was taking the pictures, you could clearly see the seed shrimp moving below the Duckweed, but the gifing process kind of messed with the quality. If you look hard enough you can see some movement on the water's surface. Hinting to the amount of activity that is actually going on at the top of the jar.<br />8/5/2018
When I was taking the pictures, you could clearly see the seed shrimp moving below the Duckweed, but the gifing process kind of messed with the quality. If you look hard enough you can see some movement on the water's surface. Hinting to the amount of activity that is actually going on at the top of the jar.
8/5/2018

gif (10).gif (1.64 MiB) Viewed 5991 times

*This contains gifs that were meant to be released in April. Please click this link if interested. I edited one of my recent posts to include these so it wouldn't mess with the flow of the timeline.*
>>>>>post313590.html#p313590<<<<<
By nuck
Oh, I forgot to show off the second jar (Specimen Jar II) and it's inhabitants. They are mostly descended from one culture sample I introduced in there. These are the descendants of around maybe 10-15.

As stated in the previous updates, the Ostracods use the Gibba vines to find areas to settle and feed. In turn this has created more air pockets because of the shifting of the soil/rocks that has been caused by the web-like growth from the Utric.
This poses as an extra danger for the seed shrimp as they can accidentally be pulled into an air bubble and suffocate if there is no present water nearby. Another issue is that the vines are intricately formed to layer the sides of the tunnels it creates and place traps in peculiar places.
What this has done is forced the seed shrimp in this jararrium to become more clever at surviving these conditions. I have noticed they move little to none, disregarding the younger forms. I usually have to sit their and argue whether it's a lazy Ostracod or some remnant argonite sand (recycled my aquarium rocks and they got mixed with some argonite on accident), but it's definite.. the little buggers somehow survived the conditions and prospered. This only proves that Seed Shrimp are not shy to get down and dirty if need be.
Typical of these Ostracods, they tend to cling onto and hang around Utric vines no matter the setting.<br />5/28/2018
Typical of these Ostracods, they tend to cling onto and hang around Utric vines no matter the setting.
5/28/2018

20180528_174236.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 5976 times
More Seedlings hanging in-between the rock and soil level.<br />5/28/2018
More Seedlings hanging in-between the rock and soil level.
5/28/2018

20180528_173748.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 5976 times
The Utricularia G. acts as a terrestrial guide for its' somewhat symbiotic buddies to come and venture off into new exciting caverns... Which could be their final destination, as seen here within their friendly guides, ironically. A bit surprised to find them at the very bottom of the rock level.<br />Also take note that by one of the trap's openings, you can see an air bubble created by the suction force of the trap.<br />5/28/2018
The Utricularia G. acts as a terrestrial guide for its' somewhat symbiotic buddies to come and venture off into new exciting caverns... Which could be their final destination, as seen here within their friendly guides, ironically. A bit surprised to find them at the very bottom of the rock level.
Also take note that by one of the trap's openings, you can see an air bubble created by the suction force of the trap.
5/28/2018

20180604_184856.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 5976 times
By riveraXVX
I love your posts still, and I've linked multiple random people not from the forums to check out this post.
riveraXVX liked this
By nuck
Thank you, sorry for lack of updates but it has pretty much slowed down now with not much really happening.

In specimen jar 1 algae is beginning to take over once again, however instead of coating the glass, it is like a clump of stringy algae hanging at the floor. Unfortunately it has killed some of my Hornwort plant, and is actually forcing the Gibba to recede back to the top. Ostracods benefit greatly from this as it increases oxygen while providing another home for them, on top of killing off the apex predator of the seed shrimps, Utricularia Gibba. I'm debating on whether to keep the algae or take it out, but opinions would be appreciated.

In specimen jar 2 the Gibba has overtaken 60-80% of the jar. I do not see any movement or any signs of Ostracod life anymore and on one side of the jar, something caused the Gibba to form some weird yellowy rust-like stuff around their vines. Possibly mineral buildup from the soil and rocks but I have absolutely no idea.. It's been like that for a month or two now with no significant issues. I do see little white specks, but those are most likely Ostracod corpses as they are quite stagnant.

One day, my hope is to get a huge specimen jar and turn it into a diverse ecosphere, but that's easier said then done.
nuck liked this
By nuck
Heads up, will update tonight for sure, for sure!

I managed to capture something amazing for this project!

Meanwhile, to summarize the past events:

I have managed to remove most of the algae without regret. I haven't affected the oxygen content much as there were many oxygen bubbles being formed without the algae's presence. Even my remaining pieces of hornwort, and gibba produced copious amounts of bubbles as if gleefully expressing their appreciation by producing extra oxygen.

I also managed to revive the extinct MTS. I snuck some into specimen jar 3 before they were wiped out in specimen jar 1, and luckily they managed to reproduce. I also introduced a couple more into specimen 3 just to bolster their chances of survival as that jar was mostly filled with dirt, and clumped up moldy algae.

If they manage to over populate the jar, I will reintroduce them into the first project. I'm a bit curious to how they would react in specimen jar 2, so maybe I will also add some of them in there just to observe how they will react.

Will provide pictures, and gifs.
nuck liked this
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!