FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By mowgli
Just wondering if any users have ever created an underwater garden and if so what where there experiences of this type of project?
By ReefPlant
Hey Mowgli,
I have working in and or around a petshop like atmosphere for my whole life> i help stock and take care of aquariums as a side job through the shop. I also love aquariums, i have planted several aquariums in the Amono fashion and think that they are a great idea to setup. I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind for 'underwater garden' or more of an outdoor type approach.
I'd be happy to help.
Attachments:
This tank was only 24"wide x 12"deep & 16" tall
This tank was only 24"wide x 12"deep & 16" tall
Dsc01844e.jpg (796.9 KiB) Viewed 5151 times
By ReefPlant
ReefPlant wrote:Amono
Takashi Amano*
This may help find out more...
By mowgli
Wow...thats stunning and exactly the idea that I'm trying to create so any advice you have to offer would be of great help to me.

I will go and do some research on Takashi Amano.

The main points that I'm wondering are concerning water filtration and water quality/changes etc.

So how has the tank in the picture been established as it really is stunning.
By ReefPlant
mowgli wrote:water filtration and water quality/changes etc.
Sorry for the delay, the tank was pretty easy to get setup. It was worth it to get better equipment with some aspects of the tank. Its like a freshwater reeftank.
:arrow: Filtration
one H.O.T. Magnum filter. basically a hang on tank (HOT) filter that was rated for around 250 gals and hour. Way to powerful for the aquarium and most fish but that can be modified to fit the needs of the plants, the whole reason for the tank. Much like a reef tank your building that perfect environment and then stocking around that most of the time. This filter will run you around $80 but you can probably find a used one craigslist and easy get spare parts. I can send them to you if you can get them. The filter cartridge was the pleated type, i think it was 10 microns, it polished the water.
:arrow: Lighting
A 65w PC 6700K day bulb running about 8-9 hours a day to keep down on algea. I have recently had great success with using a couple LEDs to fit the spectrum needed. Store bought from hardware and aquarium stores. You can make the fixture more streamline and it uses less watts. Yet again you can probably get one of these as a retro fit kit for cheap or used. $50-100
:arrow: The Gravel!!!
Not so crazy but worth it. Seachem, aquarium products sells a gravel called Flourite. Good stuff, less fertilizing and buying chemicals. Takashi Amano takes it to a different level when it comes to gravel but Flourite even mixed with regular washed gravel is good. Sand can be a nightmare for your filter and wallet. Try and stay away from it.
:arrow: Also, CO2, injected via tubing and a bubble wall (conveniently sold as a whole package, Nutrafin might be the company) or air hose connected to the intake of the filter, so the impeller breaks the bubble into smaller more plant usable bubbles. Either method works great. The system is propelled by a small chamber you mix yeast and sugar into. Set it on top of the light and the heat from the ballast will cause the reaction between the yeast and sugar and water mix to take place faster during the day time, CO2 time, and less at night, O time. This is the key factor between your lighting and setup. One alone will not make the environment click. don't plan on using that much CO2 if your not going to be running high powered lighting/or high light plants. Most of your red colorations fall into this category. Most of the plants you get are going to be 'marginal' plants that in essence need the CO2. there is about 1/50 the CO2 in water that there is in air.
Hope we're good to grow Mowgli! Keep me posted
By Pikkie
Hi Mowgli and other members. This is my planted aquarium :D If there's anyone interested I can give tips or more technical data on my tank...
Attachments:
FTS of my planted aquarium
FTS of my planted aquarium
IMG_1542a.jpg (54.72 KiB) Viewed 5109 times
By mowgli
again all I can say is WOW.

Thanks for all the input, these are certainly very good examples of what I have in mind.

I'm currently in the middle of re decorating so please forgive my slow response time.

This is defiantly a project that I am going to have a go at once we have finished painting and decorating.

I have the space all measured out and ready, now to convince the other half that we really do need another tank!!
All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!