FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Tryner78
I have been growing my flytraps for almost half a year now and have yet to find a good way of getting the insect shells out of the trap after it opens back up again. If I'm quick with the tweezers I can get the bugs out, but the trap usually triggers. if I just leave it, mold tends to form. I'm sure one of you guys has a way to do this :)
Thanks!
- TR
By Mikedaman34
If I can't blow the dead bugs out with a quick hard breath I'll just leave them. I've never had an issue pop up from a dead bug that was properly digested by the trap.
By Tryner78
Thank you! I think I have a bigger problem now though... :?
I just moved one of my traps outside today in partial shade to acclimate before I move it into full sun- and something dumped it over! I think it was one of my dogs, but whatever it was kind of destroyed a few traps. I seperated it into the best three divisions and potted them up in smaller pots, which are inside and in my room. I'll be able to keep a close eye on them until they hopefully all start growing individually. The roots were not damaged too badly on the new divisions. I moved some sarrrs. into my outside setup because they can adjust to the sun easier.
I think they'll be fine.
By Fieldofscreams
If it damaged only a few traps you should have just left them outside like nothing happened.

Did you leave them on the ground or something?

Separating them, repotting them and then moving them inside isn't going to do them any good.
By Tryner78
I guess I could clarify the damage. That vft had been grown inside for about 5 months, and due to my busy life it got it's first day outside that day. During it's first day out, it was knocked clear out of the soil and was laying bare rooted in the grass. I'm not sure how long it was lying out, but it could not have been more than 2 hours. Multiple traps ripped off, the rhizome had been growing a division which was now separated. The rhizome was also basically broken in half. I only really have expectations for the division, since it had a new trap ready to open and another on the way. :(
Sorry that I didn't elaborate on the condition of the plant, it was pretty bad. leaving it out would probably scorched the leaves and killed it completely.
--TR
By Big-Jack
I used to worry about removing the husks of digested insects, now I just let nature take its course using rain or wind. The trap doesn't have be "clean" to function again, it can and will trap and digest another insect meal perfectly fine with some remains of an old moldy insect shell still in it. It may even extract some nutrients from a second digestion that it didn't get the first time around.
Big-Jack liked this
Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!