FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By alyb
I bought a Sarracenia pitcher plant at Kew Gardens a couple of weeks back, the instructions with it were basic at best, so thank goodness for the internet!
I have purchased distilled water from Halfords (because rainwater is pretty much non-existant in London this summer!), which it seems to be quite happy with as its already grown several new pitchers and nearly doubled in size since I bought it! Its on a windowsill in the kitchen (the only sunny spot of our flat) and is next to the kettle - I figured the steam from the kettle might be favourable? I've not given it any plant food. I hope that flying bugs will be attracted enough to my plant to be consumed but what signs would the plant show if it needs to be fed artificially?

My main concern is whether it needs to be transplanted into a bigger pot already. I read that you should ideally repot them during their dormant season, however is mine too overcrowded in its current pot and needing transplanting sooner rather than later (seen photos of some with many more pitchers to a pot, so hoping its OK as is?)
Also - silly question - but how to get the plant out of its current pot - I would usually hold a plant pot upside down to tap it out carefully, can you do that with pitcher plants (visions in my mind of partially digested bugs falling out! :D )
my sarracenia as it looks as of last night!  The three central stems have grown in the past week.
my sarracenia as it looks as of last night! The three central stems have grown in the past week.
pitcher.JPG (97.95 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
I bought carnivorous plant compost from Kew at the same time. I've not examined what it contains yet, but assuming that anything sold at Kew Gardens would be appropriate.

Anything else I need to know? I read the care sheet on this forum and was a little concerned about aphids - found some this morning on a mint plant in another part of my kitchen which I've been trying to remove, didn't consider they might be damaging to pitcher plants too. Obviously don't want to use bug killer, so if any do get on my sarracenia, do I just try to wipe them off?
By Fieldofscreams
I think everything your doing is fine for the most part.

The one problem your going to have is Sarracenia are sun lovers, they love sun more than VFT's even do. Having it inside isn't going to give it what it needs long term. Would it be possible to put it outside?

Don't worry about feeding it, they don't need to be fed just like VFT's, the sun does most of the work.
By alyb
I do have a very sunny porch area with lots of other potted plants - I wasn't sure if it was OK to put out there though, as I'd been advised to keep it indoors. Slight risk of getting knocked over by the neighbours cats too!
By Fieldofscreams
Sarracenia and VFT's can take temps down into the freezing range no problem.

My sarracenia Purp and all my VFT's froze solid a couple times this spring, no harm at all. You just want to avoid them freezing solid for days and weeks on end.

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!