FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Jeeper
This is a pot of my d. Patens x Occidentalis spp occidentalis. Is this my pygmy dew flowering or is it a form of Utricularia? White flower with what looks to be red anther, flowers only seem to last the day....

Sorry for phone pick...
IMG_20180719_094609908_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180719_094609908_HDR.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2099 times
By Jeeper
bananaman wrote:That’s the sundew flowering.

Bladderworts have flowers that look almost like tiny, tiny orchids.
Thanks for the reply!

All my pots from CC have bladderwort (bisquamata?) in them so I've seen those flower before but this is new... I used a q-tip and touched each flower a couple tomes, no idea if they'll seed or if the seed will be viable, we'll find out...
By bananaman
Jeeper wrote:
bananaman wrote:That’s the sundew flowering.

Bladderworts have flowers that look almost like tiny, tiny orchids.
Thanks for the reply!

All my pots from CC have bladderwort (binata?) in them so I've seen those flower before but this is new... I used a q-tip and touched each flower a couple tomes, no idea if they'll seed or if the seed will be viable, we'll find out...
The common, weedy bladderworts that are in most of the CC pots are subulata or bisquamata (I don’t think U. binata exists). They both self pollinate prolifically on their own — in fact, some U. subulata don’t even have flowers that open! They stay closed and self pollinate.

Actually pollinating bladderworts is a good bit trickier than dabbing it with a q-tip. The way the flower is shaped, the petals cover up all the reproductive parts. They have a spur with nectar in it, and inside of the spur are the anthers and stamens — much like Pinguicula. To pollinate them, you need to put something inside of the flower, collect the pollen, then put the pollen inside of another flower — again, much like Pinguicula. You basically have to mimic a long-tounged insect feeding from the flower.
bananaman liked this
By Jeeper
bananaman wrote:
The common, weedy bladderworts that are in most of the CC pots are subulata or bisquamata (I don’t think U. binata exists). They both self pollinate prolifically on their own — in fact, some U. subulata don’t even have flowers that open! They stay closed and self pollinate.

Actually pollinating bladderworts is a good bit trickier than dabbing it with a q-tip. The way the flower is shaped, the petals cover up all the reproductive parts. They have a spur with nectar in it, and inside of the spur are the anthers and stamens — much like Pinguicula. To pollinate them, you need to put something inside of the flower, collect the pollen, then put the pollen inside of another flower — again, much like Pinguicula. You basically have to mimic a long-tounged insect feeding from the flower.
Yeah U. Binata was apparently what my phone corrected 'bisquamata' to...

I've learned more today than I have in a week of reading here. It never ceases to amaze me!

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!