FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By schmeg
It's been super helpful reading everyone's posts here, to learn exactly how to raise lovely flytraps. I am following all your instructions to the letter and know I'll get good results.

Sure, it's true that most of you recommended that new growers like me get mature plants. Good advice, I bet, but I decided to start with seeds, because isn't that more like having a cute snuggly puppy instead of adopting someone else's old unwanted dog?

But I do feel like I'm doing something wrong. It's been four days since I planted those seeds and STILL no baby traps! NONE. WHY WHY WHY. The eBay guy said it would take only a day or two for these to grow into finger-biting day-glo plants.

The experienced growers all seem to use long-tailed shagnum moss or whatever it's called. But have you seen that stuff? It's disgusting. Ugh, I didn't want to touch it. The forums say soil with no nutrients in it, so I planted my seeds in coffee grounds. It looks like dirt and doesn't have any vitamins, so I figured that would work.

The grounds got a good soak first, for sure. Moist but not wet, right? Everyone says "use distilled water" and "plenty of peat" so I used my favorite whisky: Lagavulin! It's both distilled and peaty, so it's perfect.

But other than that, I'm definitely doing everything just as you say on the forums. What's the other thing? Oh, yes, light. Light is important, even to tiny seeds, and those fellas are getting plenty of screen time each day. Like, 12 hours. I just prop the iPad against their covered terrarium and run the Xmas "fireplace" video. Nice and hot.

So, thanks from wonderful Wisconsin for all the help so far!
schmeg, schmeg, schmeg liked this
By Kenneth
Welcome! VFT seeds might take several days, weeks, or even months! That is why we recommend buying young but already mature plants that can feed on its own. Sphagnum moss and peatmoss mix is a debate, some prefer peat and some prefer moss. I don’t know what coffee ground is and I’m not even sure if it is safe for carnivorous plants. I have heard of coffee stuff being used as a fertilizer though! Also, as for lights I keep the seedlings under a T5HO sunblaster light about 3 inches plus away from the light and they get sun through the window too :) nvm I can’t even take your post seriously XD whiskey?!
iPads fire place?!
By hollyhock
It sounds to me from what I read is that you have everything set up perfectly for failure. You have a great sense of humor :lol:
Still rooting for "zebra" but "olive" would be a cool Flytrap too.
By schmeg
Oh, I just thought it would be fun to have my intro be something other than the typical "hey, noobie here." Thought it would give some of you a chuckle.

I do really truly have seeds from the Flytrap Store planted. Only on Day 5, so no action yet. If anything exciting happens, I'll post here.
By FlyTrap Hunter
schmeg wrote:It's been super helpful reading everyone's posts here, to learn exactly how to raise lovely flytraps. I am following all your instructions to the letter and know I'll get good results.

Sure, it's true that most of you recommended that new growers like me get mature plants. Good advice, I bet, but I decided to start with seeds, because isn't that more like having a cute snuggly puppy instead of adopting someone else's old unwanted dog?

But I do feel like I'm doing something wrong. It's been four days since I planted those seeds and STILL no baby traps! NONE. WHY WHY WHY. The eBay guy said it would take only a day or two for these to grow into finger-biting day-glo plants.

The experienced growers all seem to use long-tailed shagnum moss or whatever it's called. But have you seen that stuff? It's disgusting. Ugh, I didn't want to touch it. The forums say soil with no nutrients in it, so I planted my seeds in coffee grounds. It looks like dirt and doesn't have any vitamins, so I figured that would work.

The grounds got a good soak first, for sure. Moist but not wet, right? Everyone says "use distilled water" and "plenty of peat" so I used my favorite whisky: Lagavulin! It's both distilled and peaty, so it's perfect.

But other than that, I'm definitely doing everything just as you say on the forums. What's the other thing? Oh, yes, light. Light is important, even to tiny seeds, and those fellas are getting plenty of screen time each day. Like, 12 hours. I just prop the iPad against their covered terrarium and run the Xmas "fireplace" video. Nice and hot.

So, thanks from wonderful Wisconsin for all the help so far!
I just show my fly traps photographs of water, sunlight and soil. It's working pretty good for me.
FlyTrap Hunter liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

Looks OK to me. Where did you get you Cobra Lily? […]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!