FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Shadowtski
Milwaukee is not that hot but it does get to 90 and above pretty frequently.

Here are a few observations from my D. capensis plants

My Typical D capensis plants outside often seem to shut down and go into a type of semi-dormancy. With warmer temps, first the new leaves get smaller, more compact. With even warmer temps, the growth point disappears and scales or stipules are all you can see in the middle.

The first reaction is to panic, "Oh no! I killed it!"

Ignore your first reaction. Just let it be. It will come back when the weather cools.

My favorite Capensis clones like Bain's Kloof, Big Pink, Meadowview Wide Leaf, Hercules, and others, stay inside under lights all the time. Right now, most of them including my Bain's Kloof is showing smaller leaves too so it might be photoperiod or seasonal related also. It is getting up into the 80s so that might be the starting point for leaf shrink.

Drosera 'Hercules' is a capensis by aliciae hybrid, I believe, and it shows this same effect to a larger degree.

But in the words from that famous book put out by MegaDodo Publications, Don't Panic.

Good growing,
Mike
D. capensis Bain's Kloof Summer leaves
D. capensis Bain's Kloof Summer leaves
DSC07744.jpg (818.97 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
Wide Leaf California Carnivores clone
Wide Leaf California Carnivores clone
DSC07745.jpg (806.42 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
Wide Leaf German S.G.
Wide Leaf German S.G.
DSC07746.jpg (916.85 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
Big Pink w/ smaller Summer Leaves
Big Pink w/ smaller Summer Leaves
DSC07747.jpg (846.62 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
D. X 'Hercules' Summer leaves
D. X 'Hercules' Summer leaves
DSC07748.jpg (804.48 KiB) Viewed 2847 times
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
Shadowtski wrote:Milwaukee is not that hot but it does get to 90 and above pretty frequently.

Here are a few observations from my D. capensis plants

My Typical D capensis plants outside often seem to shut down and go into a type of semi-dormancy. With warmer temps, first the new leaves get smaller, more compact. With even warmer temps, the growth point disappears and scales or stipules are all you can see in the middle.

The first reaction is to panic, "Oh no! I killed it!"

Ignore your first reaction. Just let it be. It will come back when the weather cools.

My favorite Capensis clones like Bain's Kloof, Big Pink, Meadowview Wide Leaf, Hercules, and others, stay inside under lights all the time. Right now, most of them including my Bain's Kloof is showing smaller leaves too so it might be photoperiod or seasonal related also. It is getting up into the 80s so that might be the starting point for leaf shrink.

Drosera 'Hercules' is a capensis by aliciae hybrid, I believe, and it shows this same effect to a larger degree.

But in the words from that famous book put out by MegaDodo Publications, Don't Panic.

Good growing,
Mike
DSC07744.jpg
DSC07745.jpg
DSC07746.jpg
DSC07747.jpg
DSC07748.jpg
I am happy to hear the d. Capensis react to the heat. I will find a shadier spot for them. After 2 weeks of temps around 95F, they look rough. I was wondering if I had bugs. Thanks Secretariat and Mike

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By Secretariat73
FlyTrap Hunter wrote: I am happy to hear the d. Capensis react to the heat. I will find a shadier spot for them. After 2 weeks of temps around 95F, they look rough. I was wondering if I had bugs. Thanks Secretariat and Mike

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
I understand how you feel. That was my initial reaction as well.

I have 3 typical capensis and tried a shadier morning sun eastern window for Plant #1. Didn't work. The plant started looking even worse. It wanted more sun. Plant #2 occupies a southern window with strong morning sun. Does ok here but has that sickly look. Plant #3 sits in a western window that gets afternoon sun. I think #3 looks marginally better than #2. So they still seem to want the sun but are not liking the heat that comes with it this time of year. All of them are ghosts of their cool season selves. :(
By Secretariat73
If they were growing fine until summer arrived, I would do what Mike suggests. Don't panic. Continue to do what you've been doing because it sounds like the plant was doing just fine until things got hot. Let's see what happens when the weather cools down.

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!