FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Secretariat73
So excited to see baby flytraps peeking out from the lfsm! Can't wait to see these guys develop into mature plants! :D

Sawtooth
Sawtooth
IMG_4161.JPG (2.43 MiB) Viewed 4910 times
Coquillage
Coquillage
IMG_4154.JPG (2.45 MiB) Viewed 4910 times
DC XL
DC XL
IMG_4155.JPG (2.13 MiB) Viewed 4910 times
Big Mouth.  Both of the cuttings have strikes!
Big Mouth. Both of the cuttings have strikes!
IMG_4069.JPG (2.72 MiB) Viewed 4910 times
Megatraps
Megatraps
IMG_4156.JPG (2.24 MiB) Viewed 4910 times
Just to be different, Sawtooth x Piranha decided to go aerial.  :)
Just to be different, Sawtooth x Piranha decided to go aerial. :)
IMG_4164.JPG (1.91 MiB) Viewed 4910 times
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Secretariat73 wrote:So excited to see baby flytraps peeking out from the lfsm! Can't wait to see these guys develop into mature plants! :D
Congratulations! I have a flower stalk cutting too. No plantlets yet, but I'm not giving up!
By tommyr
Congrats! I've had no luck so far with flower stalks but I DID get a few strikes from leaf pullings this year.
tommyr liked this
By Secretariat73
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:
Secretariat73 wrote:So excited to see baby flytraps peeking out from the lfsm! Can't wait to see these guys develop into mature plants! :D
Congratulations! I have a flower stalk cutting too. No plantlets yet, but I'm not giving up!
It took 2-3 months before tiny plantlets became visible. Hang in there! :)
By Secretariat73
tommyr wrote:Congrats! I've had no luck so far with flower stalks but I DID get a few strikes from leaf pullings this year.
Lol... I couldn't propagate a capensis leaf cutting but somehow got some VFT flower stalks to strike. Go figure! :)
By Jagasian
Secretariat73 wrote:
What percentage of cuttings striked? I only just started growing fly traps this year, and I started with an SD Kronos. So I only had one cutting, and it took roughly 6 weeks to strike. I started feeding it blood worms.

I know it looks excessively wet in this picture, but that is because I just misted the live sphagnum tray that it is growing in. The right species of live sphagnum is important for protecting against rot. This species (sphagnum austinii), is very dense growth, slow upward growth, high acidity, and incredibly rot resistant.
75A6E7D8-DE68-41DD-8D22-5B3409EBEC93.jpeg
75A6E7D8-DE68-41DD-8D22-5B3409EBEC93.jpeg (935.69 KiB) Viewed 4781 times
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Secretariat73 wrote:
Thanks :) . I think it's been about 5 weeks since I've planted it. I should've put a date on it but I wasn't thinking ahead. Not much of it has died though, so I'm far from no hope.
By Secretariat73
Jagasian wrote:
What percentage of cuttings striked? I only just started growing fly traps this year, and I started with an SD Kronos. So I only had one cutting, and it took roughly 6 weeks to strike. I started feeding it blood worms.

I know it looks excessively wet in this picture, but that is because I just misted the live sphagnum tray that it is growing in. The right species of live sphagnum is important for protecting against rot. This species (sphagnum austinii), is very dense growth, slow upward growth, high acidity, and incredibly rot resistant.
Very nice job with the SD Kronos cutting! The traps have amazing color. The moss it is growing in is beautiful.

I ended up with 17 flower stalk cuttings this season. Of those, a Wally cutting was a goner from the start. It shriveled up within 3 days (my bad… scissors slipped and doomed the cutting). Seven of the remaining 16 developed visible strikes. There seems to be something lurking beneath the moss in another 3 or 4 pots, but I don’t want to mess with the cuttings too much and haven’t confirmed. All of the cuttings still have healthy portions of flower stalk, so I am hopeful that the strike rate among the remaining 16 will be 75%-100%.

The cuttings live alongside my flytraps outdoors and receive no special care. Right now, they receive about 2 – 2 ½ hours of full sun. Like the flytraps, their pots sit in water. The moss ranges from wet to soaked (even semi-aquatic on the hottest days), but the cuttings don’t seem to mind their waterlogged growing conditions. I can’t complain. :)
By Secretariat73
Birds knocked over two flower stalk cuttings. I think both of them will survive the experience. But curiosity got the better part of me after I tidied things up. I can now confirm that 15 of the 16 cuttings have strikes. #16 is my most recent cutting, so we'll see what that one decides to do. :D
Secretariat73 liked this
By Secretariat73
Finally finished cleaning up the CPs and repotting everything except the filiformis this afternoon. My flower stalk cuttings are coming up on their first birthday, and I've been curious to see what has been going on beneath the surface of the moss. The LFSM in their pots was last refreshed in late fall. At that time, the tiny plantlets had developed traps but there weren't any noticeable roots. So, here's what I discovered when I refreshed their media yesterday.

Most of the cuttings formed a large number of plantlets. Here's "Big Mouth"...
"Big Mouth" plantlet clump
IMG_5155.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 4344 times
And "Coquillage"...
"Coquillage" plantlet clump
"Coquillage" plantlet clump
IMG_5163.JPG (1.94 MiB) Viewed 4344 times
Both of my "Big Mouth" cuttings developed some of the longest roots among the strikes with the roots on "Coquillage" being the norm.
IMG_5150.JPG (2.31 MiB) Viewed 4344 times
But there was no question who the breakaway star of the group was. "DC XL" was the only one that decided to focus on quality instead of quantity. It only produced 4 plantlets, but they sure look pretty! Amazing for a flower stalk that was snipped on 4/29/18. The original cutting isn't even 11 months old yet!
"DC XL" plantlets
"DC XL" plantlets
IMG_5099.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 4344 times
"DC XL" plantlets in refreshed LFSM
"DC XL" plantlets in refreshed LFSM
IMG_5118.JPG (2.3 MiB) Viewed 4344 times
Can't wait to see what those "DC XL" babies will look like the next time the LFSM is refreshed. :)
By stevelau1911
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:Good growing! I'm amazed by the growth rates of those plantlets. Especially the DC XL. I wonder if that's genetic.
Yes, DCXL does appear to be superior to G16, B52, and SD Kronos in terms of growth and vigor because it just puts so much energy into growing an impressive root system early. Even as mature plants, it tends to have the most impressive root growth.

Some of my leaf cuttings/ flower stalk cuttings from last spring off DCXL that were fed consistently managed to produce traps up to the 3/4 inch mark. This year, I simply have too many plants so I don't want them splitting any more, but will feed them a lot and try to get 2 inch traps. Fell short last year when they only got up to about 1 3/4 of my biggest plants.
By tommyr
stevelau1911 wrote:
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:Good growing! I'm amazed by the growth rates of those plantlets. Especially the DC XL. I wonder if that's genetic.
Yes, DCXL does appear to be superior to G16, B52, and SD Kronos in terms of growth and vigor because it just puts so much energy into growing an impressive root system early. Even as mature plants, it tends to have the most impressive root growth.

Some of my leaf cuttings/ flower stalk cuttings from last spring off DCXL that were fed consistently managed to produce traps up to the 3/4 inch mark. This year, I simply have too many plants so I don't want them splitting any more, but will feed them a lot and try to get 2 inch traps. Fell short last year when they only got up to about 1 3/4 of my biggest plants.
What and how do you feed them? Inquiring minds want to know!
By Cross
Question! Did you plant them after they seeded?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lol mine could use a few lessons from yours! :D Af[…]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!