FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
I remember seeing this Venus Flytrap cultivar called "Gremlin" being sold at a CP vendor a while back. It is supposedly an all green Venus Flytrap, much like the "Justina Davis" Cultivar, except for the fact that it is incredibly vigorous and will multiply like crazy. Hence the name being taken from a creature that can multiply when given water. And It's a registered cultivar too. You can read up about here if you want to.
http://legacy.carnivorousplants.org/cpn ... 24_29.html

It seemed like a cool plant to have, I just never got around to buying it. Mostly because my current Venus flytrap was struggling, and wanted to make sure I could take care of one before I bought more. I keep checking at that vendor, and it's never listed. It's not even shown with a "out of stock" thing or anything. Did it die out or something? Was the clumping thing only temporary because of tissue culture? It's almost like it just disappeared. Weird. It would be cool if the Flytrap Store got a hold of it and started selling it. But for now, I guess it's a lost variety.
Last edited by _-SphagnumFromHell-_ on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
hollyhock wrote:It's still around I grow a few of them. :D
Alright well at least that's good. I wonder why that vendor stopped putting them out. It would be like if the Flytrap Store just got rid of the "maroon monster" clone from their online store and acted like it was never there. So are the "gremlin" Flytraps as vigorous as claimed?
By Jeeper
Interested in this information as well... I had one a few years ago, but being a newbie, didn't have a clue and killed it...
By sbrooks
California Carnivores came out with Gremlin; I grow it as well. Not sure why they stopped, but I never felt it was deserving of "official cultivar" status. Gremlin is vigorous, but, like Clumping Cultivar, the rumors of its frequent dividing have been greatly exaggerated, and surpassed by many other cultivars (and typicals) that actually do divide far more frequently.

Flytrapstore has discontinued certain cultivars before; I believe that DC All Red, Burbank's Best and Spotty are three that are no longer found on their site. There used to be an FTS Bear.

I wouldn't characterize it as "acting like it was never there", though. There were no Men In Black involved in erasing all knowledge, or anything. They just dropped it from what they carry or offer.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
sbrooks wrote:California Carnivores came out with Gremlin; I grow it as well. Not sure why they stopped, but I never felt it was deserving of "official cultivar" status. Gremlin is vigorous, but, like Clumping Cultivar, the rumors of its frequent dividing have been greatly exaggerated, and surpassed by many other cultivars (and typicals) that actually do divide far more frequently.
Huh. That's a bit of a bummer. I was hoping that one day, I could get one and within a couple of years, have a giant planter of divisions.

But how would its description be explained? The person who registered it said that the original plant was taken from a big box store, so it could of been just a weird side effect of tissue culture. But to TC plants divide like that?
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!