FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By bananaman
It depends on what you’ve got. Sarrs and flytraps are fine. Especially if it’s only for a day — VFTs take a couple weeks in the 95+°range to really start showing heat stress. Even when they do have it, it’s not really that bad. They still grow OK.

As a point of comparison, my adult flytraps had over 40 days last year where it broke 100° (many of which were consecutive), and they still grew and pushed out decent sized traps. In my growing environment, I can’t easily provide afternoon shade, so they got a lot of light in the hottest part of the day.
By bananaman
I’m assuming you’re talking about D. rotundifolia and D. intermedia. They’ll probably be fine if you can keep them wet.

Those species do vary somewhat in heat tolerance though — for instance, a D. intermedia from the American Southeast will probably be much more tolerant of heat than one from Northern Europe.
By riveraXVX
we have most of our sundews of mature size outdoors in full on NC sun, just make sure they have an abundance of water in their trays when its that hot out and that it doesn't dry out- we tend to make sure ours have water early in the morning nice and full and by sundown when its that hot our trays need refilling before the day is over at some points.

D. intermedia can handle pretty high water levels also which makes it easy enough to randomly give them a good flooding - in NC as a native species you can often see them submerged in water with just the tips of leaves protruding out all over. flytraphunter posted some photos of some near him a while back showing them all waterlogged
riveraXVX liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
riveraXVX wrote:we have most of our sundews of mature size outdoors in full on NC sun, just make sure they have an abundance of water in their trays when its that hot out and that it doesn't dry out- we tend to make sure ours have water early in the morning nice and full and by sundown when its that hot our trays need refilling before the day is over at some points.

D. intermedia can handle pretty high water levels also which makes it easy enough to randomly give them a good flooding - in NC as a native species you can often see them submerged in water with just the tips of leaves protruding out all over. flytraphunter posted some photos of some near him a while back showing them all waterlogged
It got to be 95 to 100F last week for a week. My Fly Traps were not happy. They didn't stop growing but I got a few deformed traps and what seems to be burnt edges. We are back to a steady 90F and the plants are happier. That said my plants get direct sunlight from 7am to 2pm and then shade after that. I lost some leaving them out all day and night giving them a break from the afternoon sun. I let the water dry out.
The d. Intermedia I have grow right in water. The roots are in water and the plant seems to lift itself up out of the water. Image

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By bananaman
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:It got to be 95 to 100F last week for a week. My Fly Traps were not happy. They didn't stop growing but I got a few deformed traps and what seems to be burnt edges.
A week doesn’t really effect them too much. The vast majority of days July and August break 95°and my plants do fine (we have ~70 days a year over that threshold). Sure, they don’t hold nearly as many traps as they do in the spring/fall/winter, but they still grow well. They don’t color up as well when it’s hot and don’t grow quite as fast, but they are still healthy. I’ve never seen many deformed traps in the middle of summer in all my years of growing — so it’s probably just something random that caused it in yours.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!