FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Nickdavey126
Ok so over a week ago I picked up two VFT’s . I have wanted one for years and I finally found them. Prior to picking them up I had some basic knowledge of how to keep them such as how they grow best in a substrate like Peat Moss, but what I will admittedly say I failed to research if they grow good in Terrariums or not and along Story short I planted it one. To describe the terrarium , it’s similar to a medium sized fish bowl, but sits on its side and I keep the lid open to prevent to much humidity build up. The size of the opening is fairly large and Inhave full access to the plants. I have been collecting rain water for the plants I don’t want to risk it with my well water. The Subtrates I’m using is for the very bottom I have a drainage layer of gravel and some sand, on top of that is a liner and then the plants are planted in a mix of pearlite , peat and it’s topped with a Spaghunum Moss (extra yfrom Reptile and Amphibian Enclosures). I just wanna know what I need to do to prevent it from dying because I really do love these plants and the look healthy for now , their even sprouting new leaves. As A reptile/amphibian/fish and Bird keeper I know how urgent it is to do research before getting an animal and I should have done more in depth research than just scratching the surface. I was going to replant the plant but I read that can cause even more stress and I definitely don’t want that to happen. Is there a way to possibly keep the plant alive in the terrarium until after the winter dormancy ? if you would like a picture of the current set up I will post it. Any bit of advice will be grateful. As a side question, with me owning fish and amphibians that require safe water I use Dechlorinators which basically make the water safe for the fish and amphibians skin, would these dechlorinators be bad for plants , I have not tried it but I thought I would ask in case of emergency where I didn’t have rain water. Thank you for any help , I just want these plants to thrive.
By Nickdavey126
Picture of said terrarium
B059D300-FBE9-4528-B10E-26AE5025CC7B.jpeg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 3624 times
B059D300-FBE9-4528-B10E-26AE5025CC7B.jpeg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 3624 times
By riveraXVX
what brand peat / perlite? click up top there are fantastic beginners guides that Matt & Leah who run the site/flytrapstore.com have made that will give a good rundown of basics.

it is where the kid and I cut our teeth learning about a year ago, follow the advice there and you should prosper easily with flytraps.

the setup as it is currently would not inspire confidence that the plant will sustain health/stay alive.

nice looking plant!
riveraXVX liked this
By Nickdavey126
Ok so, I reported my two plants into a , I think a 20inch deep pot, the substrate is the same , I just used scissors to cut up some of the sphagnum moss , as I read there could be possible complications with it ? I am definitely going to need to buy more peat but for now , here it is. Should I leave them out side ? Or let them be under the grow lamp I have. They are currently outside getting some sprinkles of rain.
Ok so, I reported my two plants into a , I think a 20inch deep pot, the substrate is the same , I just used scissors to cut up some of the sphagnum moss , as I read there could be possible complications with it ? I am definitely going to need to buy more peat but for now , here it is. Should I leave them out side ? Or let them be under the grow lamp I have. They are currently outside getting some sprinkles of rain.
4F10F4EB-C264-4A0E-B92E-1E16C6DE15FA.jpeg (3.61 MiB) Viewed 3593 times
By Nickdavey126
Lol while here, would anyone like to recommend any terrarium plants ? I wouldn’t want it to go to waste :)
By SundewWolf
Fieldofscreams wrote:Leave them outside.

VFT's are as far away from a house plant as you can get.
Agreed, I tried for a number of years to "trick them" with short photoperiod indoors, but in the long run it screws them up and they have growth issues. Refrigerator dormancy is crappy IMO as well since the chance for rot is high unless you screw around with fungicides. Outdoors year round is the best thing for them, they acclimate naturally to all the seasons. In extremely cold winters I will put them in a heated cold frame (45*F).
By riveraXVX
looks good there the only thing I'd point out you should plant it so its at the top of the pot not in a cavern of a hole you want max sunlight to hit it this will block coming in at a lot of angles as it comes across
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!