FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Klum
I recently bought a venus fly trap form a local store that sells everything gardening related it. it was an impulse buy so I didn't have any knowledge of what they had to be planted in and peat moss is difficult to come by this time of the year hear as there is no real spring so it will be June at the latest when the big box stores bring in there supplies. the pot that it came in is small and I'm worried that it needs to be repotted do I wait till I can find a good supply of peat moss or could I use something like the Jiffy-7 peat expanding pellets? Also, some of the traps are turning black I think it is due to overwatering or could be that I was using tap water I switch yesterday to distilled but I would like a second opinion.
Attachments:
flytrap.jpg
flytrap.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 2099 times
By Artchic528
Jiffy peat pods most likely contain fertilizers and other additives that would jump start other seedling growth, but would harm CPs like venus flytraps.

I would wait until you can get a hold of some actual peat moss or LFS. If you can't wait, this site has an awesome store that sells about the best peat mix money can buy for flytrap growing.
Artchic528, Artchic528 liked this
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
I would definitely wait. Although Venus Flytraps tend to prefer larger pots, they can still do well in smaller pots so repotting it is not necessary. It may get a bit too most for them at times, but they'll survive and be fine. As for the dying leaF that is completely normal. Venus Flytraps while growing are constantly putting out new leaves while the older ones die back. It has nothing to do with it being unhealthy as long as it isn't all of the leaves that are dying back. Good Growing.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!