FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Kenneth
tmann51 wrote:
ZeGamingCuber wrote:Here’s an Image: It is still in the same media and same pot it came in, I've not tried to look at the roots. Either way, your plant looks lots better than mine. Perhaps I over-watered it but I also will say that California Carnivores media retains water almost too well, IMO, it almost becomes 'muddy'. Sorry, not much help for you.
You haven’t repotted it? MAYBE it is root bound? Drosera Capensis does have a good amount of roots, maybe it’s time for a repotting?

Here’s a photo of my sundew.. It is growing under a T5HO light approximately 4+ inches away from it, the T5HO light is being supplemented by a south window that gets light from 4-6pm.
Attachments:
I repotted it into some peat/perlite. The new growth is small and minuscule now and growing in slow motion :(
I repotted it into some peat/perlite. The new growth is small and minuscule now and growing in slow motion :(
image.jpg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 1257 times
By Caramelmarkie
ImageImage

Here some of my capes. Comparing the ones grown inside and outside, the former have more dew on them. For some reasons, i think the plants outside hasn’t fully recovered yet. We had a heatwave in Germany. As far as my observations and readings, humidity does play a role. The capes in my bathroom are growing really great! Lots of dew and very reddish tentacles (except for the alba). Also, mine flowers on its own, even with less frequent feeding. If there is balance on its growth reqs, i believe they will be healthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Caramelmarkie

Totally different story with my filiformis. With a short time to acclimate, they went all dewy when placed outside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By Cape_sundew
I don't see anything wrong with your plant from the original picture. If anything it will need replanted and there are several options or ways to do this. I have grown cape sundew for almost 10 years, it is easily one of my favorites as it takes a beating and keeps going. One thing I have noticed makes a big deal is the media it is growing in. With peat mixes it grows great at first when the soil is fresh but add a year or two of erosion from watering and elements and the growth slows even in the best of conditions (also remember to flush your pots every once in a while to reduce any mineral buildup). Growing in living sphagnum moss seems to stop this, if even a small top layer of it. The moss will grow with your plant and is beyond easy to send new roots through. Your plant looks to be in one of the peat mixes, if you can try putting it in a sphagnum mix next time and see if it does better for you. You could also just leave it in that pot and go for the palm tree look but the giant crack in the side of that pot worries me. As for size I have noticed the albino form seems to get larger than any other form for me, but yours looks to be fully grown for a typical.
Attachments:
Notice how the roots go through the top layer of moss then shoot to what was the sides of the pot instead of trying to work through the compacted peat.
Notice how the roots go through the top layer of moss then shoot to what was the sides of the pot instead of trying to work through the compacted peat.
IMG_20180728_171533.jpg (3.97 MiB) Viewed 1221 times

I got your SASE for your March request the other d[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!