FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By matadorjr
It's obviously that direct sunlight is better than indirect but since I only have east and west window sills, can a vft and other carnivorous plants do fine with indirect light? During the morning they get a nice amount of direct light but during the day it gets light. Can they survive during dormancy and still manage to survive and do photosynthesis?
By Aging_Bourbon
Venus Flytrap and other North American Carnivorous plants have to have some form of energy. Same goes for Tropical, usually some species can't tolerate direct sunlight as much, that goes to some species of Nepenthes, Sundews and Butterworts. But with a Flytrap you gotta have them in full sun which is 6+ hours of sunlight, if not they start to get all green and look sick like. You might wanna suppliment them with Artificial lighting if you can't provide the right amount of light
By Steve_D
matadorjr wrote:During the morning they get a nice amount of direct light but during the day it gets light. Can they survive during dormancy and still manage to survive and do photosynthesis?
Yes, full morning sun from an eastern window would be ideal, and if the glass gets cold during the winter, the cool air being shed from the inside of the glass can fall around and over your Venus Flytrap, giving it comfortably cool temperatures for its (semi)dormancy. Just remember not to water often during dormancy in order to discourage rot; just let the medium dry until just moist before watering thoroughly again, then let it mostly dry out again.

Good luck. :)
By kitkat200117
When I got my vft, the little greenhouse (that the plant was in) said that I should give it "indirect sunlight", is having it next to my sliding door a good source, or do I need to move it? Also, one of my vfts is turning yellow, I went trough the web and found out that it's because of "not having direct sunlight". Should I follow the directions from the container, or by the web. Also please answer all questions if so. Thanks :P
By Chloe123
kitkat200117 wrote:When I got my vft, the little greenhouse (that the plant was in) said that I should give it "indirect sunlight", is having it next to my sliding door a good source, or do I need to move it? Also, one of my vfts is turning yellow, I went trough the web and found out that it's because of "not having direct sunlight". Should I follow the directions from the container, or by the web. Also please answer all questions if so. Thanks :P
By “little greenhouse” do you mean like a plastic container? If so you should take the flytrap out of the container immediately. It’s a common misconception that flytraps need high levels of humidity. They’re not tropical and they’re surprisingly hardy.

As for sunlight, direct sunlight is always best. Though even where I live in the UK the sky 9 times out of 10 is overcast. Still my fly trap is green and healthy. I wouldn’t worry about your trap turning yellow. They do it all the time. Old traps die and new ones grown back. But your first priority, if it’s in a container is to get it out, we don’t call them death boxes for nothing,
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!