FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Fieldofscreams
I was attacked by squirrels 3 days ago. They didn't do much damage because all they wanted was the water in the trays but to get to that water they had to walk all over the pots and knock them over to get to it. Couple traps got smooshed and one trap got broken clean off. One member uses bamboo skewers sunk down into the media and that appears to be a really good deterent but I couldn't do that because I use 12oz and 16oc stadium cups mainly for pots and there wasn't enough room to stuff them into them and even if I could it wouldn't matter because the tree rats would just knock the pots over anyways.

So I bought a couple of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CP ... 0DER&psc=1

I only needed one though, one fits over both trays tightly, tight enough that you would need opposable thumbs to get it off lol
By sbrooks
I hope it works for you. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look very solid. They may discover that it is easy to bend, pull, tear, etc.

Have you considered leaving them another source of water?
Placating them would not be my first choice either, but it could possibly work.

There is also the scarecrow predator statues (owls and such, a million versions of them........
https://www.google.com/search?q=owl+sta ... 4600825613 )

A co-worker had an issue with squirrels destroying his garden as well as his attic. He meticulously caught something like 18 in a cage (he had to manually pull the cage shut with a string when they entered, because he couldn't get the trigger mechanism to automatically close the cage to work right), and took them to a park. Certainly laborious, but probably the most effective deterrent; at least until new ones move in.
By Fieldofscreams
Providing them another water source somewhere else in the hopes that they leave my trays alone is a human way of thinking. To an animal however what they think is "hey, I have TWO water sources now, YES!!".

I read every review I could find and the only people that had animals that still got in by chewing or going under it were rabbits. People who bought this for squirrels however reported that the squirrels don't bother with it. I couldn't find a single review of anyone saying that the squirrels still got in.

An hour after putting this on my traps I watched a couple squirrels jump up on my table, sniffed the enclosure and then jumped down and ran off. They don't seem to want to even bother with it. They haven't been back since and I watch it like a hawk.

I was also worried that this would be flimsy and unsecure but when it arrived and I set it up I was VERY surprised at how tough and sturdy it actually is. Plus it actually looks pretty cool.

So far I recommend it, especially considering the price.

Trapping squirrels is also something I don't recommend. When you remove squirrels from their territory all you have done is created a new uninhabited territory for other squirrels to take over and they will do so quickly. You would be trapping them nonstop all year long and there would never be an end.
By tommyr
Unless tied down that can be knocked over easily. Good idea though but I personally don't like the look.
By Fieldofscreams
Then you cant make the claim that they are easy to tip over.

I worried about the same thing but come to find out its much more substantial than what it looks like in pictures. Then when you do what I did and tightly pack your trays in it it becomes extremely solid and just about impossible to remove without opposable thumbs.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Fieldofscreams wrote:Then you cant make the claim that they are easy to tip over.

I worried about the same thing but come to find out its much more substantial than what it looks like in pictures. Then when you do what I did and tightly pack your trays in it it becomes extremely solid and just about impossible to remove without opposable thumbs.
Might help with mid-day sun issues as well. I would rather see the squirrel in the cage and not the Fly Traps. LoL

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
Not what you would expect...

@andynorth, trust me. I did not tarry very long[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!