FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Duckingstan
Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to even plant growth. So, You guys can understand the struggle I am having looking after one.

The whole idea of me looking after a Venus flytrap was because of a Biology project. I was going test its reflection time and compare it with a human hand. But my teachers have told me that this wouldn't work. Now that this idea is passed I still would like to do a project with the plant, and I am aware of those related to nervous system. They did not get accepted too.

What I have in mind as new is that to buy a second one and give (by that I mean to put it on a proper soil) it nutrients and test if it is still functioning on its traps or maybe even slower functioning. The idea is to see if the function of traps is related to the nutrients. But then I found out that it actually dissolves the roots of the plant.

My question is that “Is there any way that this idea works? and second “If not, do you guys have any recommendations?”

I am already thankful for your answers! :) :D :D
By carelerasmus
Duckingstan wrote:Hello everyone,

I am pretty new to even plant growth. So, You guys can understand the struggle I am having looking after one.

The whole idea of me looking after a Venus flytrap was because of a Biology project. I was going test its reflection time and compare it with a human hand. But my teachers have told me that this wouldn't work. Now that this idea is passed I still would like to do a project with the plant, and I am aware of those related to nervous system. They did not get accepted too.

What I have in mind as new is that to buy a second one and give (by that I mean to put it on a proper soil) it nutrients and test if it is still functioning on its traps or maybe even slower functioning. The idea is to see if the function of traps is related to the nutrients. But then I found out that it actually dissolves the roots of the plant.

My question is that “Is there any way that this idea works? and second “If not, do you guys have any recommendations?”

I am already thankful for your answers! :) :D :D
You want to do an experiment with a flytrap?Image what kind of experiment? Does it have to be about trap speed and function? Or about the growth in general?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
carelerasmus liked this
By Duckingstan
Thanks for answering!
I am trying to conduct an experiment with dependant dependent variables.
I was always fascinated by Nerves systems so I wanted to do one with this magnificent plant but as it seems I am not allowed to because as they have told me that this was not biological enough!

That's why I have come up with the idea that if the plant would have enough nutrients why would it continue with trapping. My idea was to test one plant with nutrients and the other with recommended version (which is almost none). Then I would test their closing times and see if there would be any difference.
But I recently learned that too many (more than recommended) nutrients can actually kill the roots of the plant rather than helping it to grow larger.
I am at a point where I am not sure what to do next???
Any ideas on improving the idea or another experiment?
By carelerasmus
Duckingstan wrote:Thanks for answering!
I am trying to conduct an experiment with dependant dependent variables.
I was always fascinated by Nerves systems so I wanted to do one with this magnificent plant but as it seems I am not allowed to because as they have told me that this was not biological enough!

That's why I have come up with the idea that if the plant would have enough nutrients why would it continue with trapping. My idea was to test one plant with nutrients and the other with recommended version (which is almost none). Then I would test their closing times and see if there would be any difference.
But I recently learned that too many (more than recommended) nutrients can actually kill the roots of the plant rather than helping it to grow larger.
I am at a point where I am not sure what to do next???
Any ideas on improving the idea or another experiment?
Hmm I see...well first of all , I believe that Flytraps do not have nervous systems at all, but the closure of the traps are caused by chemical reaction which are triggered by the trigger hairs! I think a pretty simple experiment could be to take two flytraps, both in their recommended low nutrient soil and given the correct water, but to give one 5+ hours of direct sunlight daily (as recommended) and the other only bright indirect sunlight! One can then note the difference in growth such as trap sizes and length of the petioles over a month of constant conditions! Try not fo feed either plants for the duration of the experiment! One can also note the trap speed difference between the plants after the month. My hypothesis would be that the light starved plant would react slower (if at all) after a month of light starvation! One has to consider however that different plants might react differently, therefore if you could find two plants of Identic genes (clones) that would probably give more accurate results! Try finding two flytraps that have been propagated via cuttings or leaf pullings! Those would be exact genetic replicas of the parent plant and thus more likely to react the same to the same conditions! If you could manage to do that, you could also note the difference in red color pigmentation on both plants ( light starved being greener) ! Hope this helps in some way! They are quite easy and simple experiments,but nevertheless interestingImageImage

carelerasmus liked this
By Duckingstan
This could work!? it is a good idea too but I also have to have something measurable (as in numbers, or the change in ph and so..)
Do you think is there any way that I can manage to find the amount of sunlight or maybe measure pigmentation (in a budget of course :D )?
By carelerasmus
Duckingstan wrote:This could work!? it is a good idea too but I also have to have something measurable (as in numbers, or the change in ph and so..)
Do you think is there any way that I can manage to find the amount of sunlight or maybe measure pigmentation (in a budget of course :D )?
Hmm I understand! I really have no idea as to what measurement tools u can use, but you could use a slow motion camera to work out the time that it takes the traps to snap shut? It could become a little mathematical,but why not!Image you could also measure the length and/or sizes of the difference in traps and petioles? In terms of more technical aspects, I have no idea about what you can do! I'll leave that to the expertsImageImage

carelerasmus liked this

I'm planning on converting my current 2'x4' into[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!