FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By PlantMan
I hate squirrels with a burning passion. Those little tree rats are ALWAYS digging up my flytraps in their search for acorns. I've tried putting a net over the pot, I've moved them closer to the back door, I've pulled my hair out thinking they finally gave up only to come outside after a rainstorm and find the soil tossed out and my flytraps pulled up.

Dear carnivorous plant growers, experts and casual amateurs, I beg thee for answers. How can I make sure these god-forsaken rodents leave my poor flytraps alone?
By Fieldofscreams
Milk crates with a good sized heavy rock on the top. Fly traps will still get sunlight this way and they will be protected.

Squirrels will stop digging here soon then they will start again in the fall. So it's not something you have to worry about the entire growing season.
By Aozora
How about making a feeding platform for squirrels? You could just get one of those bird feeding platforms and place some acorns/nuts in it. This should lure them away from your plants.
By Huntsmanshorn
Aozora wrote:How about making a feeding platform for squirrels? You could just get one of those bird feeding platforms and place some acorns/nuts in it. This should lure them away from your plants.
And then you could shoot them. Great idea! I really like this idea.
elaineo, Shadowtski liked this
By ApgarTraps
SOLUTION:

Buy a pack of bamboo kebab skewers at the dollar store. Cut them so that -- when placed pointy-side-up -- the sharp ends barely protrude from the surface of your soil. Place LOTS of these skewers all around your pot.

Once those squirrels get poked in the feet and rump by that sharp bamboo, they'll quickly learn NOT to mess with your pots.

I have photos of my setup, and even a video of a squirrel learning his lesson -- if I can figure out how to upload them.

Cheers!

/Apgar
By Fieldofscreams
Would love to see that.

I wouldn't think that would work for squirrels.
By ApgarTraps
Why do you think it wouldn't work? So far it has, but maybe those gray pests will figure out a workaround!

Am I allowed to post a url to a YouTube video? I'm new here, and not sure of the rules....
By Big-Jack
Ha. He decided it was more fun to torment the hummingbird.
By Fieldofscreams
I was finally attacked. I ordered a couple of these for a quick fix. I'll probably have to build something. I saw him the second time and he just wants the water in the trays.

NuVue Products 30100 Pest Guard Cover, Multiple Sizes Available https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CPHV6LI/re ... dBb6QKDG6E

I can tell in the video that the squirrel just wants the moisture of the moss and plants. It's nice and moist and cool.
By ApgarTraps
Big-Jack wrote:Ha. He decided it was more fun to torment the hummingbird.
LOL.... I know!

Can you believe the lucky timing on that!
By Shadowtski
I may joke about shooting, trapping, electrocuting, or worse, but I think the best solution is just make your stuff inaccessible to them.
I took a 72x48x18 wire rack and covered the front and back with metal hardware cloth.
That has a 1/2 inch grid, welded together and galvanized.
I also used plastic coated chicken wire for the sides.
The end result has kept squirrels and birds and other marauding varmints.
20200520_183014.jpg
20200520_183014.jpg (4.31 MiB) Viewed 4770 times
Matt, MikeB liked this
By optique
Matt liked this
By Benny
If you want a cheap, and not perfect solution, a chicken wire cage would work best. Shadowtski probably had the most efficient solution.

The automatic sprinkler may work out well, but can vary greatly. Some squirrels (after many tries) will become brave enough to approach your plants. Plus, I don't know if you want a bunch of mineralized water sprayed around carnivorous plants.

If you really want to and can legally do it, then sure, shoot them. Do some research before bringing out the .22 pellet gun, because your plants are not worth a potentially hefty fine. Shooting them is, however, a momentary fix, as they will just have a couple more litters, and the population is replaced to the normal number.

Good luck!

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!