FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By francisfaustino
Update photos. Last year was a terrible time for all three of my Venus flytraps. I had two separate outbreaks of mites that I couldn't control and I thought I was going to loose all three of the plants. The problem started about a month after the last photo I posted of the DCXL. A few weeks after the outbreak, the mites lessened but only to return in full force after a few months. This winter, I also wasn't very attentive about freezing temperatures and the pots froze solid at least a couple of times. About a month ago, I decided to bring the plants indoors under artificial lighting to wake them up early to give them a head start for this year's growing season. Because of last year's mite problems, I plan to grow them indoors until fall when I will transfer them back outside and let them go into dormancy naturally.

Last year's issues was a real setback for the plants. The Royal Red and the Purple Ambush lost almost all of their foliage and they're just now starting to grow back. I'm still amazed just how resilient these plants are. All of the plants are much smaller right now than when I first got them in September 2016. They still don't look spectacular right now but hopefully this year will be a good growing season.

DCXL Feb 5,2018 before I trimmed the dead leaves
DSCF1413-1s.jpg
DSCF1413-1s.jpg (224.94 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
DCXL Feb 14,2018
DSCF1437s.jpg
DSCF1437s.jpg (184.36 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
Royal Red Feb 14, 2018
DSCF1449s.jpg
DSCF1449s.jpg (241.25 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
Purple Ambush Feb 14, 2018
DSCF1452s.jpg
DSCF1452s.jpg (259.1 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
francisfaustino liked this
By francisfaustino
My Purple Ambush is finally starting to show its red coloration! I just noticed earlier this morning that its "lashes" and the insides of the traps are turning red. Although I got the plant late in 2016, just before it went dormant, 2017's major setback didn't allow the plant to show its true form.
By francisfaustino
DC XL flowers opened up yesterday! This is the first time I let the Venus flytraps flower so I'm a bit excited about it! I was going to wait to take photos until all the buds have opened up but it seems like the flowers are short lived in my environment. The Royal Red flower that opened up a few days ago has already started wilting even before all the buds in the bunch had a chance to open up.
DSCF2498.jpg
DSCF2498.jpg (191.13 KiB) Viewed 6587 times
DSCF2484.jpg
DSCF2484.jpg (202.38 KiB) Viewed 6587 times
DSCF2460.jpg
DSCF2460.jpg (122.23 KiB) Viewed 6587 times
By francisfaustino
The rest of the DC XL's flowers have opened up! I really love the center part of the flowers! I had to wait until night fall to take these photos because I don't have a black background.
DSCF2511b.jpg
DSCF2511b.jpg (646.67 KiB) Viewed 6565 times
DSCF2502b.jpg
DSCF2502b.jpg (293.93 KiB) Viewed 6565 times
By FlyTrap Hunter
[quote="francisfaustino"]The rest of the DC XL's flowers have opened up! I really love the center part of the flowers! I had to wait until night fall to take these photos because I don't have a black background.

I would be interested in trading a vft or other seeds for DCXL x DCXL seeds off your plants. I have a bunch that are flowering now. I don't know which ones to cross yet. Those are nice looking flowers. Thanks
By francisfaustino
FlyTrap Hunter wrote: I would be interested in trading a vft or other seeds for DCXL x DCXL seeds off your plants. I have a bunch that are flowering now. I don't know which ones to cross yet. Those are nice looking flowers. Thanks
Hi, I wasn't planning on pollinating them but since you asked I will do it. I don't really need anything for trade right now, but if these flowers make seeds, just pay shipping and a few extra bucks for the trouble and I'll give them to you.
By FlyTrap Hunter
francisfaustino wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote: I would be interested in trading a vft or other seeds for DCXL x DCXL seeds off your plants. I have a bunch that are flowering now. I don't know which ones to cross yet. Those are nice looking flowers. Thanks
Hi, I wasn't planning on pollinating them but since you asked I will do it. I don't really need anything for trade right now, but if these flowers make seeds, just pay shipping and a few extra bucks for the trouble and I'll give them to you.
That's very generous of you. I will pay for the seeds. No problem. I have a PayPal. I am just working on growing nicer typicals than you normally see offered at hardware stores and beach shops. I just want to grow Fly Traps that make a nice presentation. (Although I do have a few nice typicals. I have not seen a DCXL grow into a adult, but if I had to pick some Fly Traps that are the nicest and largest, I'd say the B52, Jaws, King Henry, megatraps, maroon Monster and Grun are some of the nicest and largest. And of course the DCXL.
I have a lot of Fly Traps that are blooming now. I will be more than happy to share my seeds with you. Thanks

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By francisfaustino
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:That's very generous of you. I will pay for the seeds. No problem. I have a PayPal. I am just working on growing nicer typicals than you normally see offered at hardware stores and beach shops. I just want to grow Fly Traps that make a nice presentation. (Although I do have a few nice typicals. I have not seen a DCXL grow into a adult, but if I had to pick some Fly Traps that are the nicest and largest, I'd say the B52, Jaws, King Henry, megatraps, maroon Monster and Grun are some of the nicest and largest. And of course the DCXL.
I have a lot of Fly Traps that are blooming now. I will be more than happy to share my seeds with you. Thanks

It's no problem but no promises yet. I self pollinated the DC XL earlier and I will let you know in a few weeks if they're successful!
By FlyTrap Hunter
francisfaustino wrote:
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:That's very generous of you. I will pay for the seeds. No problem. I have a PayPal. I am just working on growing nicer typicals than you normally see offered at hardware stores and beach shops. I just want to grow Fly Traps that make a nice presentation. (Although I do have a few nice typicals. I have not seen a DCXL grow into a adult, but if I had to pick some Fly Traps that are the nicest and largest, I'd say the B52, Jaws, King Henry, megatraps, maroon Monster and Grun are some of the nicest and largest. And of course the DCXL.

It's no problem but no promises yet. I self pollinated the DC XL earlier and I will let you know in a few weeks if they're successful!
No worries. Thanks and good luck. I really like the bloom. It reminds me a little of a Dogwood bloom.Image

FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By francisfaustino
FlyTrap Hunter wrote:
No worries. Thanks and good luck. I really like the bloom. It reminds me a little of a Dogwood bloom.Image

Hi, I'm sorry to say that the flowers I pollinated didn't seem to work. This is the first time I have ever tried this so I'm a complete newbie. I don't know if I waited too long and the seeds have fallen off but I was monitoring its progress every few days. The flowering process seem to have been quite hard on my plants. They have died back quite a bit and it's only now that they're starting to grow again.
By francisfaustino
Even though I didn't get any seeds from the DCXL, there were some from the Purple Ambush x Purple Ambush and Royal Red x Royal Red if anyone is interested. Free, just pay $3 (Paypal gift) for the shipping and handling. US only please.

The Purple Ambush seeds are from 2 flower stalks.

The Royal Red seeds are only from one and there's only a few seeds. Probably only 10.
By FlyTrap Hunter
francisfaustino wrote:Even though I didn't get any seeds from the DCXL, there were some from the Purple Ambush x Purple Ambush and Royal Red x Royal Red if anyone is interested. Free, just pay $3 (Paypal gift) for the shipping and handling. US only please.

The Purple Ambush seeds are from 2 flower stalks.

The Royal Red seeds are only from one and there's only a few seeds. Probably only 10.
I agree with you that flowering takes a lot of energy from the fly traps. I cut the flower stem off of a few plants that didn't seem strong enough.
I am interested in Royal Red seeds and purple ambush.

By Doublebass1985
No your not letting the plant get too dry infact it looks like your getting it too wet just a little bit. See that greeness to the lfsm? I get it too it's easy to over water sometimes, but the moisture isn't evaporating enough for how much heat and light intensity there is. Everyone has their own unique setup and climate so it has to be finely tuned and experimented with.
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!