FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By Kenneth
I need help ID this orchid. Can I keep it in a net pot for better root ventilation?
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 4529 times
By evenwind
It's a Phalaenopsis hybrid. And, yes, you can move it to a net pot once it's stopped blooming. (Don't cut the spikes until they're completely brown - many of the hybrids will re-bloom on old spikes.)
evenwind liked this
By Kenneth
Thanks! I did more research and I realized this might be a mini Phal which is its own species and don’t get as big as a regular phal. Is this true?
By evenwind
Kenneth wrote:Thanks! I did more research and I realized this might be a mini Phal which is its own species and don’t get as big as a regular phal. Is this true?
These days, almost all the Phals you see in the big box stores and local nurseries are the result of two competing ideas. You have the large (usually white petaled) Phal hybrids with big leaves and large "round" flowers displayed on one or two long, unbranched, arching spikes. And then there's the mini-Phal hybrids, which will stay small and produce smaller, brightly colored, less "round" (ie. more "open"), flowers on multiple, branched spikes. The minis will frequently re-bloom on old spikes. Both kinds have been mass produced after having been hybridized for all the qualities that a beginner orchid should have - consistency of bloom and growth, long lasting flowers, general hardiness for those beginner mistakes, etc.

There all sorts of variations on these two themes, of course. Your orchid appears to be a slightly-larger-than-average mini. How large are the leaves? The flowers?
evenwind liked this
By Kenneth
I would say the flowers are a little over an inch and the leaves are probably 4 1/2 inches long.
By evenwind
Kenneth wrote:I would say the flowers are a little over an inch and the leaves are probably 4 1/2 inches long.
That's a typical mini-Phal, then. (The full sized ones have flowers in the 3"-5" range and leaves up to a foot long.) And as I said, don't cut the spikes until they're completely brown - it's possible that they'll re-bloom.
evenwind liked this
Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!