Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here
tmann51

I have this vanda...

by tmann51 » Tue May 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Vanda 2.JPG
Vanda 2.JPG (3.77 MiB) Viewed 414 times
Vanda 1.JPG
Vanda 1.JPG (3.88 MiB) Viewed 414 times
I have this Vanda that I've believe I've brought back from the edge. As you can see, it has what I think is a Kiki, OR, it is growing a new terminal end. The roots look good and I soak it for a half hour every day. It is in a south exposure window but I don't think it gets enough light. This is my 1st Vanda but as you can see, there are no roots, as yet, at the Kiki and I don't know if there ever will be. Also, it has at least 3 old flower stalks and is too big to put under any lights I currently have.

SundewWolf

Re: I have this vanda...

by SundewWolf » Tue May 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Nice work. I hope to see some kiki's on mine one day. I've been wanting to buy one for 5 years, and finally got a sansai blue, and now can't decide if the next one should be the Pachara delight, or some orange vanda.
plant videos: http://www.youtube.com/liguus

Plants in my collection: post186153.html

tmann51

by tmann51 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:15 pm

I've been told that this unidentified plant has pink blooms as I've been told by the greenhouse that had imprisoned it. What I'm really wondering is whether the Kiki will send up a spike eventually. Honestly, the Kiki is the center of any foliar growth here, but to my thinking, the Kiki don't mean much if it does not produce a bunch of viable roots. As a scale, the fan is about 17" from side to side. What do you think would happen if I hung it outside, and if I did, should it be in full sun or partial sun?

FLTropical

by FLTropical » Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 pm

I grow a lot of orchids outside, include a dozen or so vandas. They can take a lot of sun, up to maybe 6 hours direct morning sunlight, but they acclimate slowly. You’ll need to slowly increase the light over several weeks. VERY SLOWLY.

The following users would like to thank FLTropical for this post
tmann51

Return to Orchids