FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By KStap18
Hello, I'm just curious if anyone knows what's the red growth coming from the center of my VFT (not the cut flower stalk). They don't look like new leaves to me. Just a little about the growing conditions: I grow this outside in full sun in San Diego in LFSM sitting in a deep tray of distilled water. Image
By FlyTrap Hunter
KStap18 wrote:Hello, I'm just curious if anyone knows what's the red growth coming from the center of my VFT (not the cut flower stalk). They don't look like new leaves to me. Just a little about the growing conditions: I grow this outside in full sun in San Diego in LFSM sitting in a deep tray of distilled water. Image
It's either divisions or tiny Fly Traps or both. They are definitely tiny Fly Traps. Good job.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
By KategoricalKarnivore
I’m pretty sure that’s a bunch of flowers coming up.
By stevelau1911
Once a fly trap loses it's apical dominance, then the dormant buds will activate creating many smaller growth points which will become many different plants which are feeding off the energy from your existing plant. Give it another month, and you should see traps forming.
By KStap18
stevelau1911 wrote:Once a fly trap loses it's apical dominance, then the dormant buds will activate creating many smaller growth points which will become many different plants which are feeding off the energy from your existing plant. Give it another month, and you should see traps forming.
Now this sounds interesting! Wait but do we know what caused this? I know this plant didn't go through domancy this year as I had received it bareroot in January and it had long leaves. Would that be some reason?
By FlyTrap Hunter
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:I’m pretty sure that’s a bunch of flowers coming up.
KK. I will bet you a $25 gift certificate from FTC that those are small divisions and not flowers.

By FlyTrap Hunter
KStap18 wrote:
stevelau1911 wrote:Once a fly trap loses it's apical dominance, then the dormant buds will activate creating many smaller growth points which will become many different plants which are feeding off the energy from your existing plant. Give it another month, and you should see traps forming.
Now this sounds interesting! Wait but do we know what caused this? I know this plant didn't go through domancy this year as I had received it bareroot in January and it had long leaves. Would that be some reason?
What you are seeing is normal springtime growth and normal divisions that happens when the Fly Trap looses its Winter growth. Your Fly Trap has been dormant even if you don't realize it. It has to do with length of hours of daylight and the angle of the sun. And it's likely now getting more sunlight than it has been.

By KStap18
Thanks for all the info! Now I can't wait to see what.happens in the next coming months!
By PitBulMom
Oh! We got a wager going!
I am just curious to see what happens! Keep us all updated with pics, so we can see what the plant does, and who wins the wager!
PitBulMom liked this
By KStap18
PitBulMom wrote:Oh! We got a wager going!
I am just curious to see what happens! Keep us all updated with pics, so we can see what the plant does, and who wins the wager!
Yeah I'll post pictures in the next weeks!
KStap18 liked this
By KStap18
So this is what it looks like now. It does look like tiny Flytraps or at least the shape of it..ImageImageImage
By Big-Jack
Looks like a big cluster of divisions. Happens sometimes when the mother plant is under stress (sunburned in your case). The good news is you have a bunch of new plants you can divvy up next spring.
By KStap18
Ahhh I see. This plant has been out in the sun since January though, is it possible it never acclimated to the sun that it got burnt after being out for so many months?

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!