Can I divide?

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here
carelerasmus

Can I divide?

by carelerasmus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:51 pm

So this is my happy sarracenia eva! She's been growing really good since I got her! Dormancy has almost kicked in, and now I want to know if I could devide her? I'll attach photos of the rhizome! Would this harm the plant in any way?ImageImage

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

tommyr

Re: Can I divide?

by tommyr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:58 pm

Possibly. We need to see the rhizome.

carelerasmus

by carelerasmus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:04 pm

tommyr wrote:Possibly. We need to see the rhizome.
I can't take her out just yet, but ever since I got her she had these "growth points?" But they never grew any larger than that? They literally did nothing! Well is it possible that I can "rip" those off and get them rooted? ImageImage

tommyr

by tommyr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:37 pm

Well I need to see the rhizome, I wouldn't guess without seeing it but don't do it for me personally. Let other chime in as well.

carelerasmus

by carelerasmus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:38 pm

tommyr wrote:Well I need to see the rhizome, I wouldn't guess without seeing it but don't do it for me personally. Let other chime in as well.
Okei thanks

riveraXVX

by riveraXVX » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:18 pm

take anything I say with a grain of salt I've still not divided any of our sarracenias it looks like that right and left section might be a decent spot to divide but as tommyR mentioned without seeing rhizome/roots I couldn't say for sure. I repotted most of ours this spring with the kid and noticed similar points I could have divided ours but just left them be to grow another year

carelerasmus

by carelerasmus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:24 pm

riveraXVX wrote:take anything I say with a grain of salt I've still not divided any of our sarracenias it looks like that right and left section might be a decent spot to divide but as tommyR mentioned without seeing rhizome/roots I couldn't say for sure. I repotted most of ours this spring with the kid and noticed similar points I could have divided ours but just left them be to grow another year
Okei! But lets say for theoretical sake I uproot the plant, and those small "growthpoints" each have some roots, it should be okei to take them off the mother plant and plant them right?

tommyr

by tommyr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:02 pm

carelerasmus wrote:
riveraXVX wrote:take anything I say with a grain of salt I've still not divided any of our sarracenias it looks like that right and left section might be a decent spot to divide but as tommyR mentioned without seeing rhizome/roots I couldn't say for sure. I repotted most of ours this spring with the kid and noticed similar points I could have divided ours but just left them be to grow another year
Okei! But lets say for theoretical sake I uproot the plant, and those small "growthpoints" each have some roots, it should be okei to take them off the mother plant and plant them right?

IF each has roots they should be good to go.

carelerasmus

by carelerasmus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Okei thanks a lot

SerMuncherIV
Super User

by SerMuncherIV » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:10 pm

Those growth points have likely not formed their own roots yet and should not be disturbed. The period right before dormancy is also probably the least ideal time to divide Sarrs.

carelerasmus

by carelerasmus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:14 pm

SerMuncherIV wrote:Those growth points have likely not formed their own roots yet and should not be disturbed. The period right before dormancy is also probably the least ideal time to divide Sarrs.
Okei, I'll wait till they're well into their dormancy and then I'll take a look! Thanks for the advice!

Return to Pitcher Plants