FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Secretariat73
With temperatures in Las Vegas already flirting with 90F, I am considering adding a layer of wood mulch to my sarracenia pots to help conserve moisture and regulate soil temperature. Is this something that might prove harmful to the plants? The rhizomes and new growth will not be covered and will still remain exposed to sunlight. Over time, the mulch would introduce humus to the soil, but since the plants will receive fresh media every year or two, I wouldn't think the added nutrients would reach a harmful level. The plants are also predominately watered using the tray method, which in theory would slow the process of any nutrients reaching the roots.
By FLTropical
I have nothing on wood mulch specifically, except that as bacteria break it down they take nitrogen out of the media - which actually could be good. I have heard of and considered using pine needles. They are acidic, which would I think help as they break down, and offer some of the same benefits as any mulch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FLTropical liked this
By steve booth
Pine bark (milled preferably) is a good mulch I use it on my bogs as it also adds tannins and acidity. It is now also used in peat free mediums.
Cheers
Steve
steve booth liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
steve booth wrote:Pine bark (milled preferably) is a good mulch I use it on my bogs as it also adds tannins and acidity. It is now also used in peat free mediums.
Cheers
Steve
With ALL seriousness, I see Fly Traps grow in the wild in just sand and pine debris, sometimes sand and pind needles. I have not tested it yet but I do see it. Sometimes it is almost all sand and just mucky peat.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk
FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By FlyTrap Hunter
Secretariat73 wrote:With temperatures in Las Vegas already flirting with 90F, I am considering adding a layer of wood mulch to my sarracenia pots to help conserve moisture and regulate soil temperature. Is this something that might prove harmful to the plants? The rhizomes and new growth will not be covered and will still remain exposed to sunlight. Over time, the mulch would introduce humus to the soil, but since the plants will receive fresh media every year or two, I wouldn't think the added nutrients would reach a harmful level. The plants are also predominately watered using the tray method, which in theory would slow the process of any nutrients reaching the roots.
I wonder if live moss might help? ImageImage

FlyTrap Hunter liked this
By Secretariat73
Thanks for the responses, everyone! I really appreciate the input. :)

I picked up a bag of chipped wood and mulched everything this afternoon (despite the 40-50 mph wind gusts). The bag contained a combination of pine and fir. Both woods share similar acidic qualities, so the plants should be okay. It's reassuring to know that I don't have to worry much about the wood messing with the soil. A layer of mulch makes a huge difference when temperatures reach their heights here, and now the sarrs will have that much more protection when the heat really hits. This will be my first complete summer with my CPs, and I really want the plants to do well. :D
By Secretariat73
I wonder if live moss might help?
If I could, I would love to use live moss. However, the desert climate would fry the moss in short order. I have stylidium debile growing in live sphagnum moss on a window sill in morning sun. I brought the plant outside for a day or two in strongly filtered morning sun, and the moss clearly wasn't happy. There is no way it will tolerate the full sun the sarrs want. :(
By FlyTrap Hunter
Secretariat73 wrote:
I wonder if live moss might help?
If I could, I would love to use live moss. However, the desert climate would fry the moss in short order. I have stylidium debile growing in live sphagnum moss on a window sill in morning sun. I brought the plant outside for a day or two in strongly filtered morning sun, and the moss clearly wasn't happy. There is no way it will tolerate the full sun the sarrs want. :(
Well good luck. We will be watching because I think your temps are pretty high on the charts compared to most growers. I think KK gets pretty hot in Texas but not sure it gets as hot as Vegas.

By beepybeetle
90? My Purp survived the california summer with 100+ temps just fine. Tell your plant to grow a pair and tough it out
</sarcasm>

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!