FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By kratzaus
Hello everyone,

I recently ordered my 1st cephalotus and it arrived a few days ago in great condition, though it was in one of those tiny pots.

I was debating with myself whether better to wait until the end of next winter to repot it (as many advise) or to do it immediately simply because I've read how fussy they can be with moisture levels in the soil and thought it would be easier to maintain a constant moist but not wet level in a bigger, deeper pot.

So, I opted for the later, and since I'd also heard they hate having their roots disturbed, I decided to try to plug the entire soil bound roots from the small pot directly into a crater I had dug in the new pot. While doing this, the self-weight of the soil around the roots kind of snapped the soil plug, and definitely snapped some of the roots :o

Very hard to say what proportion of the roots were lost, but perhaps 1/4, and as the soil plug kind of disintegrated as I tried to save it, I didn't even get the benefit of keeping most of the remaining roots covered in the original soil. I could just kick myself!

Anyway, do you think I have botched so much, that is now doomed? And if it is, how long before it will become glaringly obvious that it's a goner???

cheers,

Ben
By boarderlib
I break roots on plants pretty much every time I unpot them. Does it effect the plant? Yes, but given good conditions the plant will recover. It just takes a little longer usually because the plant will start the recovery process with the root zone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By nimbulan
The plant should be fine. Based on my experience you should know within a couple days if you caused any setbacks. If you see leaves or pitchers dying back, it's a good idea to give it some elevated humidity (don't forget airflow!) until it starts growing normally again.
nimbulan liked this
By Shadowtski
nimbulan wrote:The plant should be fine. Based on my experience you should know within a couple days if you caused any setbacks. If you see leaves or pitchers dying back, it's a good idea to give it some elevated humidity (don't forget airflow!) until it starts growing normally again.
I agree with Boarderlib but I take it one step further.
I automatically dome or bag the plant when I transplant it.
I leave it for 2 to 4 weeks.
I check it daily and open bag or remove lid for air-exchange then close back up.

Just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Matt
Shadowtski wrote:I automatically dome or bag the plant when I transplant it.
I leave it for 2 to 4 weeks.
I check it daily and open bag or remove lid for air-exchange then close back up.

Just my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Ditto on that. I always bag Heliamphora and Cephalotus for at least 2 weeks after repotting. It's not always required, but it will definitely help prevent loss if you do it.

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!