FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By TheChives15
First time having a couple pings and not sure yet what is right for them, first the emarginata came with it's own soil in a small pot I planted it in a larger 4" pot I tried not to disturb it put the whole soil clump directly into a pot filling the gap with long fiber sphagnum and rinsed play sand mix 2:1, is that too much sphagnum for this plant? it seems the original soil had perlite, drained well, the sphagnum holds more water, I have been keeping them out of the tray on their own with no dish from the sundews and Venus flytrap, not sure if they are suseptable to rot especially with sphagnum staying moist long periods between waterings, I only dip them in the tray for a drink once or twice a week, they are placed outside where they get full sun in the morning, its been sunny and hot outside, they stay in one spot with direct sun in morning and during the heat of the day the shade covers them they sit just a few inches from the sundews who have been in full sun all day. My questions are what soil works best, should I be getting them out of the sphagnum I don't want to kill these cuties I would go out of my way to get them in the right mix and one of them is unidentified it is growing directly in the sphagnum and sand mix I see little white roots I am not sure I would transplant that one because I fear of breaking the delicate looking roots my only concern is moisture what can I do to get it right, the sphagnum drinks water and it is almost constantly damp but airy as the sundews except the sundews are in the water tray always, should I continue to keep the pings out of the tray of water? And can they burn from the scorching sun or can they adapt to full sun all day during the hottest parts of the day, I'm growing tomatoes who loves full sun and I have been keeping my CPs out and treating them to full sun in the tray with water in the bottom at all times, but I am brand new to this as well and I am concerned of cooking them in the sun, we live in US hardiness zone 9, but it's my first summer here in Texas I am not familiar with the heat, and humidity is higher here, I really do not want to kill any of these little amazing plants since I am new to growing CPs. The sundews live a couple inches away and get full sun all day, I never move them, the sundews seem to be doing well, can the pings live close to them, only should they be in full sun too, should I keep them out of the tray method, I have questions on other CPs but I am just wondering about the butterworts here, I got them about a month ago, I will post pictures so someone might tell me if the plants are looking happy
Attachments:
Little pinks new roots
Little pinks new roots
IMG_20180330_182553.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 2554 times
Little pink unknown
Little pink unknown
IMG_20180330_182528.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 2554 times
The emarginata
The emarginata
IMG_20180330_182517.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 2554 times
By TheChives15
I mentioned I got them a month ago, since then the little pink one has gotten more new leaves and the older leaves withered and were pulled away but the new growth seems vigorous, they have both changed since I got them the pink one has gotten more pink pigment from it originally was more light in color it has turned darker rosy pink, and the emarginata has lightened from a dark green to a lighter green and at first the outer edges of the leaves showed a purple line at the edges and a purple center, it has been sending new leaves and is definitely lightened in color, if these things indicate it is going in the right direction?
By TheChives15
The color in the photos are not great I just retake them
Attachments:
IMG_20180330_193705.jpg
IMG_20180330_193705.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 2545 times
IMG_20180330_193620.jpg
IMG_20180330_193620.jpg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 2545 times
By TheChives15
It's evening right now, but this is a picture of the situation.
Attachments:
the situation.
the situation.
IMG_20180330_194355.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 2541 times
IMG_20180330_193841.jpg
IMG_20180330_193841.jpg (3.4 MiB) Viewed 2541 times

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!