FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Diamond Mirror
I have been doing some research of VFTs and there is a result saying "The more sunlight the plant absorbs the healthier it will be." So I'm wondering if I can put my whole plant under the sun for a whole day? Some people also said 20 Celsius is the best temperature for the VFT's root to absorb nutrients in water. If I put my plant under direct sunlight for over 10 hours how can the water be around 20 Celsius? It should be boiling after 3 hours

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk
By Bob Beer
Yes your plant wants to be in full sun all day. There won’t be many nutrients in the soil anyway since the best soil is pure peat and sand or perlite. Some people grow them in long-fiber Sphagnum which is equally nutrient-poor. Soil warms in the sun. But it also releases heat. Have you ever walked on boiling soil on a 20 C day? :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Diamond Mirror
Bob Beer wrote:Yes your plant wants to be in full sun all day. There won’t be many nutrients in the soil anyway since the best soil is pure peat and sand or perlite. Some people grow them in long-fiber Sphagnum which is equally nutrient-poor. Soil warms in the sun. But it also releases heat. Have you ever walked on boiling soil on a 20 C day? :-)

But the thing is I live in a hot climate which is over 30 Celsius at daytime Image it isn't that important anyways I found peat moss in Daiso for cheap! There is also Pearlite in there, can it be user as Perlite? If yes I'm taking it

By boarderlib
30°C is not that hot. There's people who grow VFT'S in climates that reach 43°C. The plants in my opinion should be protected by shade cloth once it gets to about 35°C. They tend to start slowing in growth and looking a little ragged at that point.
fluffy123 wrote:For a VFT to flower the sunlight amount must be 12 hours.

That's funny because it seems to me temperature may just play a role in telling the plants to flower. Just because they're getting 12 hours of light doesn't mean they will flower naturally. If you don't believe me come try growing in a real temperate climate, like mine. Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Diamond Mirror
boarderlib wrote:30°C is not that hot. There's people who grow VFT'S in climates that reach 43°C. The plants in my opinion should be protected by shade cloth once it gets to about 35°C. They tend to start slowing in growth and looking a little ragged at that point.
fluffy123 wrote:For a VFT to flower the sunlight amount must be 12 hours.

That's funny because it seems to me temperature may just play a role in telling the plants to flower. Just because they're getting 12 hours of light doesn't mean they will flower naturally. If you don't believe me come try growing in a real temperate climate, like mine. Image

You said it will be getting weak at that point here it can reach to 36 Celsius in the afternoon which is already enough for it to get weak. So I was asking how to make it strong without having to put shade cloth things

By Diamond Mirror
Bob Beer wrote:Don’t worry, In North Carolina where they grow naturally it gets that hot regularly. Peat and perlite is a good mixture.

Hi thanks for replying, can Pearlite replace perlite? It is different, Pearlite is artificially made and Perlite is found in nature.

By boarderlib
Diamond Mirror wrote:You said it will be getting weak at that point here it can reach to 36 Celsius in the afternoon which is already enough for it to get weak. So I was asking how to make it strong without having to put shade cloth things

I didn't say weak, it doesn't weaken the plant. It just more or less slows in growth, and the leaves crisp up. Then put it in a spot that is shaded in the afternoon, or leave it in full sun and deal with crispy traps. It's your plant, it's your choice. I just know how to keep my plants looking good in the heat of summer. Either way they'll survive that heat.

By PitBulMom
It would help if you would tell us where you live, but...
Mine are outside all day 12+ hours right now, they get direct sunlight for more than 6 hrs and shaded light for another 6. They are loving it right now. I live in Southern Utah, it can get quite hot here, and they are all in water trays, I have had no problems. Now when we start hitting 105F they will be under a huge tree that shades our yard through the hottest part of the day. Sunlight will still get through, but not to the intensity that it is now.
By Diamond Mirror
boarderlib wrote:
Diamond Mirror wrote:You said it will be getting weak at that point here it can reach to 36 Celsius in the afternoon which is already enough for it to get weak. So I was asking how to make it strong without having to put shade cloth things

I didn't say weak, it doesn't weaken the plant. It just more or less slows in growth, and the leaves crisp up. Then put it in a spot that is shaded in the afternoon, or leave it in full sun and deal with crispy traps. It's your plant, it's your choice. I just know how to keep my plants looking good in the heat of summer. Either way they'll survive that heat.

Showing less growth means weaken it to me. Also I don't think you know how to care for them in hot climates you would have mentioned about adaption to the temperature. Your reply was not helpful.

By Diamond Mirror
PitBulMom wrote:It would help if you would tell us where you live, but...
Mine are outside all day 12+ hours right now, they get direct sunlight for more than 6 hrs and shaded light for another 6. They are loving it right now. I live in Southern Utah, it can get quite hot here, and they are all in water trays, I have had no problems. Now when we start hitting 105F they will be under a huge tree that shades our yard through the hottest part of the day. Sunlight will still get through, but not to the intensity that it is now.
Hi and thanks for your reply. I just need to ask, Is there a way to let it receive direct sunlight for the whole day without heating up the water of the tray? I have been thinking about placing ice cubes but for sure it won't last for 5 minutes in the hot weather.

By boarderlib
Diamond Mirror wrote:
boarderlib wrote:

Showing less growth means weaken it to me. Also I don't think you know how to care for them in hot climates you would have mentioned about adaption to the temperature. Your reply was not helpful.

Is that so!? You know all about me?

By KategoricalKarnivore
Oh boy here we go. lol. Mine regularly see temps of 37-38 in summer and do just fine. Some slow down but they are by no means weak. And I thought boarderlib’s post was pretty helpful. Good info and correct info.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!