FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By bannister
kronos1996 wrote:Tell about how you water it I hear that is tricky... BTW I'll PM you in a week after my new job starts and I might just buy that little guy off of you! They are hard to find for sale...
They have some on eBay for $30.
By kronos1996
Yes but yours are older and well adapted. Theirs are probably crappy little babies that aren't even green house hardened! I'm not syaig everyone on EBay is a liar but I prefer to deal with people I trust...
By Darkrai283
kronos1996 wrote:Tell about how you water it I hear that is tricky...
I water it normally and keep it in the same conditions as my other temperate CPs such as Sarrs. No cool water, ice cubes, circulating water, etc. Although this works for me, it may not for other people.
I managed to kill my first two as I was so stressed about the rumors that you have to water them with cool water and to make sure that the roots don't get so hot that I overdid it a little which probably stressed them a bit too much.
SundewWolf wrote:How do you raise yours in terms of habitat/feeding/breeding/seperating males?/etc.
I use chunks of oak and beech wood/logs for egg laying and then separate them after they get pretty large into their own individual containers filled with fermented oak 'mulch'. I feed the adults proper Japanese beetle jelly (not the cheap ones you find on eBay and such) and just keep them in separate plastic containers.

I have sort-of steered off stags ATM as they are much more demanding than Dynastids and Cetonids. They still are very cool though!
By Darkrai283
kronos1996 wrote:Yes but yours are older and well adapted. Theirs are probably crappy little babies that aren't even green house hardened! I'm not syaig everyone on EBay is a liar but I prefer to deal with people I trust...
I can't sell you any if you live in the US. You would need a phytosanitary cert. and possibly some other permits which would add so much to the cost.
By kronos1996
Do you keep it indoors year round or just during the colder months? I'm guessing a bright window? Just water well once or twice a week? Due to excessive rainfall here my watering schedule is sporadic but I'm beginning to use the tray method since its so hot down here in Atlanta, Georgia! I just don't have unlimited funds to buy these plants until I get it right so I wanna make sure I do everything perfectly whenever I do buy one!
By Darkrai283
kronos1996 wrote:Do you keep it indoors year round or just during the colder months? I'm guessing a bright window? Just water well once or twice a week? Due to excessive rainfall here my watering schedule is sporadic but I'm beginning to use the tray method since its so hot down here in Atlanta, Georgia!
I keep it outdoors all year round. They've survived drops down to -12C in winter and they've come back fine in the spring.
I only water when I find that the substrate has dried out a bit so that I can give the roots some air. It's very easy to lose plants that are constantly soaking wet to rot here in good-ol' "sunny" Britain! :mrgreen:
By SundewWolf
SundewWolf wrote:How do you raise yours in terms of habitat/feeding/breeding/seperating males?/etc.
I use chunks of oak and beech wood/logs for egg laying and then separate them after they get pretty large into their own individual containers filled with fermented oak 'mulch'. I feed the adults proper Japanese beetle jelly (not the cheap ones you find on eBay and such) and just keep them in separate plastic containers.

I have sort-of steered off stags ATM as they are much more demanding than Dynastids and Cetonids. They still are very cool though![/quote]

Nice. Mine have only lived two months (which i heard is normal for the adult stage) and they did not mate/lay eggs. I kept them in a aquarium with peat and logs, fed them "wet" fruit like mushed berries or peaches. I have no idea what a proper beetle raising entails lol.
By SundewWolf
Darkrai283 wrote:
kronos1996 wrote:Yes but yours are older and well adapted. Theirs are probably crappy little babies that aren't even green house hardened! I'm not syaig everyone on EBay is a liar but I prefer to deal with people I trust...
I can't sell you any if you live in the US. You would need a phytosanitary cert. and possibly some other permits which would add so much to the cost.
Can you send me some bugs? lol
By mexi_kunt
so if i live in calfifornia near the coastal fog region, i should be able to grow a darlingtonia calfornica outside right? i mean come on, the name's the same.
By sPacer
Anybody interested in obtaining Hardy, Healthy Cobra Lilies, please visit my page http://www.man-eating-plants.com it forwards to the facebook group that I started years ago, but I am working on a whole new format. I have been selling Cobras for over 20 years and would Never sell anything that isn't good to go. Please read the "about" page, it explains a lot, and also have a look at the photos page. There are hundreds of photos of stock that I use to fill orders, all of which is from my own colony of Cobras that I started in 1995 or so. It eventually overtook the perimeter of my back yard as I kept digging and lining a sort of trench bog. Over the first maybe ten years I would buy Cobras from anyplace that I could find them in person, like farmer's markets in California and Oregon. My plants are the result of years and years of crossbreeding mountain and coastal forms, and weeding out anything struggling, only the best get to stick around. I don't have any labeled types as far as location or cultivars, there are only my plants which have grown nicely for So Many people who have failed with Cobras before. I also have a completely different take on their needs in captivity, and there is a Lot of advice and information that you will not find anywhere else. Please read the reviews. I also have sold on eBay since 2002 and have over 700 glowing feedback blurbs, some buyers are so thrilled that they have to censor their statements.
If you want Cobras, I got you covered. All sizes are available right now, but I stop selling larger plants mid season since those are my seed producers. I have some smaller plants in 3" pots that are flowering too.
I also created a mix specifically for Cobras which is called Monster Mix. It is intended to be half of a complete mix, the other half being traditional peat moss/perlite which buyers can add on their end. It is comprised of actual forest floor debris such as clay, mud, decaying dead pine branches cut into small pieces, pine needles, and also rain washed Oregon Dunes sand. One of my best friends lives in Florence OR where I lived for a decade, and his place is on the next right turn north of the infamous wayside bog. He has sphagnum and a few D.Rotundifolia but no Cobras, and it is where I get the forest debris in his back yard. Monster Mix is not available anywhere else. It promotes rooting like Crazy, and the plants will spawn so many stolon runners, which are practically turning into plants before they even hit the surface. I know that plants need certain elements at a microbial level, and that can take a lot of time to build up in steam sterilized mosses and inert sterile substances like perlite. Monster Mix helps Cobras feel more at home and thus they suffer Much less transplant shock. I have people growing my plants in central Florida, San Diego CA, Maine, in every state actually.

This being my 20th year of selling Cobras, I am celebrating with some great deals, some BOGO stuff, some daily specials, and some hidden "Easter Eggs" for different things like 50% off any item, etc.

I sell plants sized from rooted cell tray starters to large plants ready for pots at least 6", the pitchers are quite tall on some of them. Many have been sent with pitchers 18" to 32" tall. This "hybrid" of sorts contains DNA of true giant plants reaching over 4ft in height which they did in my back yard on the coast. They are Not soft and I don't baby them one bit. No recirculating pumps, just hose water or rain water when available. No ice cubes, these have done just fine in Summers with temps in high 90s and low 100s for over 3 months in a row with no changes made to my routine of simply watering them. They also have handled every Winter, some for over two decades, with no problems at all. They got full sun dusk til dawn last year and acclimated to it nicely. I grow them outdoors year round and Never in a greenhouse except for cell trays. All plants that outgrow the cell trays are moved outside. If you have failed with Cobras or are afraid to try one, please read through some of my posts and information. This really is something new under the sun :)

Please message me at FB or send email to philgv10@gmail.com with any inquiries.

Thanks!! -Phil W Golding
Creative Director - http://www.man-eating-plants.com where Cobras are all that we do.

Drosera germination time

I know I got the "Redrum" seeds from th[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!