FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By FlyTrap Hunter
animalisterra wrote:I am not sure if any of the terrariums have this yet but I would recommend making a false bottom. It basically mimics what the ground does in nature. You start by putting pebbles (aquarium gravel works) on the bottom of the terrarium. Then, cut a piece of fine mesh to fit the bottom. You then fit that above the gravel. Finally, you put some charcoal on top of the mesh and add the soil.

The gravel on the bottom acts as a reservoir. The water then gets wicked up into the soil keeping it moist. The mesh makes sure that certain plants do not sit directly in the water (do not use the mesh for CP that live in bogs). The charcoal is home to bacteria that break down decaying plant matter. I also recommend adding springtails to the terrarium as they will prevent mold and keep it clean.
I keep a layer of sand in the bottom and put soil on top. If I ever get a terrarium that doesn't outgrow it's space in 6 months, I will try the mesh screen anyway. I am hoping for a 10 gallon fish tank. Thanks

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!