FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By evenwind
I've been curious about something for awhile. I live on Long Island (NY) and I'm wondering if it's "a place that people have heard of". I'm pretty sure the folks living close enough to be on the same weather map have noticed us and certainly people from the places where we've scattered our excess population (like Florida and San Francisco) are aware of us. But what about the rest of you? If we were to meet face-to-face in your home town and I told you I was from Long Island, would it ring any bells, bring anything to mind? Think you could find us on a map without too much trouble?

Like I said, just curious.
By KategoricalKarnivore
I used to work on a tug boat up around there. We were dredging out Port Elisabeth and would bring the mud and rock out under the Verrazano Bridge and dump it about 30 miles offshore. So in other words I rode passed Long Island on a daily basis. I was up there in 2003 when the big blackout occurred. We even hauled some of the Twin Towers debris to the dump at the Kills. Do you remember when the Staten Island Ferry ran into the dock? That same ferry almost ran over our 120 foot long tugboat just hours before the crash.
By evenwind
Sounds like you had some dangerous times in NY Harbor. Have you ever mentioned Long Island (without the NYC context) to your fellow Texans? Did they know where you were talking about? Is LI a "known thing" down there?
By KategoricalKarnivore
I would say most of my friends would know where it is. And of course everyone knows what a Long Island Iced Tea is around here.
By evenwind
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:I would say most of my friends would know where it is. And of course everyone knows what a Long Island Iced Tea is around here.
Yup, as Napoleon said "The key to lasting fame is to get booze named after you!"
Thanks for the info on your friends - that's just the kind of thing I'm interested in.
evenwind liked this
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!