FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Newbiegrower17
:?: hello everyone I'm new to the forum and also new to growing indoor plants. I'm confused on which color led grow light is best red and blue or white. Also is a 19 watt led good strong enough to grow the traps.
By xr280xr
The most important wavelength is the blue-violet light. Plants need the light around the 450 nm wavelength for growth the most. They also use red light around the 650 nm mark. So blue and red LED grow lights are very efficient because they only use power on generating the required wavelengths. The down-side can be that they make the plants look purple which may not be as nice to look at.

White light contains all colors including some in the 450 and 650 nm ranges. When choosing a white grow light, it's important to make sure it's strong enough in the 450 nm range to provide enough usable light to your plants. Indoor lighting is usually a "warmer" color containing less blue/violet light so it is too weak in the 450 range for plants to grow healthily in it. You can gauge whether it's the right light using the color temperature which is measured in Kelvin. White light from 5000-6500 K is good for growing. The downside of white light is you spend money on power to generate a bunch of green/yellow light that the plants just reflect back at you and don't use.

I'm not sure about the LED wattage.
xr280xr liked this
By Kenneth
Buy a cheap t5 light and light fixture with 6500k on it.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!