FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By animalisterra
I have really been thinking about expanding my collection outdoors. My only concern is how hot the summers get. The plants will most likely be facing the east so will get morning sun and some midday sun until the sun passes over the house. I read that I could use insulated pots and shade them from the hottest parts of the day. I will also make sure that the tray of water under the pot will not dry out. Is their a problem with the top of the soil drying out in this climate?

I was planning on getting a pot of baby flytraps to start out. What other CP would you suggest for weather like this?
By Huntsmanshorn
I grow in Southern Wisconsin so I don't know how welcome my advice will be but, for what it's worth, here you go:
animalisterra wrote: I will also make sure that the tray of water under the pot will not dry out. Is their a problem with the top of the soil drying out in this climate?
No, if you make sure the tray always has water in it. Good luck.
animalisterra wrote:I was planning on getting a pot of baby flytraps to start out. What other CP would you suggest for weather like this?
Sarrs, pygmy sundews, maybe drosophyllum, , D. capillaris, any of the thread leaf sundews, D. brevifolia, maybe Pinguicula pumila, in the partial shade you might try some of the hardier Mexy Pings and just for fun, you might try some of the winter growing South African Drosera.

Like I said I grow in Wisconsin so take my advice with a grain of salt.
By boarderlib
I don't care for Styrofoam cups, but in your heat the added insulation will help. So I would look into using big Styrofoam cups as pots for your smaller plants. The taller, the better. Just punch a couple small holes in the bottom.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By animalisterra
Would American pitcher plants grow well here?

I will also make sure to use styrofoam cups.

My initial idea was to make a bog garden. Is this possible as I definitely can not get styrofoam tubs that big. I was looking at California carnivores plant collections. They have a bog garden set that comes with three plants. Will this work?
By boarderlib
Sarracenia should do fine for you. They may crisp up a little when it gets boiling hot out there, but once the heat subsides they'll bounce right back. Yes, an in ground bog would be helpful. The ground would act as an insulator as well, probably better than any Styrofoam cup

By animalisterra
I am sorry that I did not mention this. It is almost impossible to grow anything in desert ground as is is about as hard as rock. I was thinking to use a clear tub for the plants.
By boarderlib
Most people who do in ground bogs have to line it with something, pond liners are usually the best choice for this. There's some really good articles/threads for building them. There's not any dirt/rock/sand anywhere that a little brute strength and ignorance and a big enough hammer can't get through

By animalisterra
boarderlib wrote:There's not any dirt/rock/sand anywhere that a little brute strength and ignorance and a big enough hammer can't get throughImage
This is true! :lol: I will definitely look into it.
By promethean_spark
I'm in CA where it's very sunny, but not as hot as AZ. Anything in less than a 1g pot will die under noon sun, including cactus. Plants in 3" pots do fine under a 70% shade cloth though, and also do fine if they only get morning sun, IE on a covered East facing patio. The base of East facing walls get very hot in late AM due to reflected heat. My favorite spot is just North of the Northeast corner of the house, you can move the pots a little East for more Sun, West for less, and there is 270' of air circulation, including air from the shady area on the North side of the building. During a heat wave I can move everything a few feet West to protect them, which is easier than moving them to another area of the yard. The East side of a shade tree is also a great spot.
By nuck
As a native Phoenix grower, I can supply you with some advice, but not much. Your best chance in terms of CPs are certain Sarracenia grown in shade (possibly S. minor), Drosophyllum as they are quite hardy in dry climates, certain high tolerence Nepenthes (ie. N. ventrata), pygmy drosera (sundews), and maybe some butterworts. VFT's tend to get overwhelmed by the intense UV, and heat, acclimation or not. I have even tried VFT's in shade, and it still doesn't work out too well. I will make another attempt in the coming months, but most of my CP's currently are grown indoors through the West or South windows with good results. Trying to grow in this desert heat is just too much; however, if you had a pond or a DIY bog, you might have some great results.

My experience with sphagnum in summer temps has been pretty bad. It tends to dry out super quick in this heat, shade or not. Water evaporates very quickly, and water trays are pretty unsuitable; you could somehow do a DIY tray that helps evaporated water collect at the top, and fall back down, but my try at it was decent. Overall, it didn't accomplish much as the moisture would evaporate out the soil. Natural shade, and shade cloths are your best friends out here.

I grew in Avondale as well for a bit, and I find their weather to be a bit more on the windy side at times, especially in a 3rd floor apt. It's a lot more suitable for CP's out there than in Phoenix, however you're still going to be dealing with the triple-digit degree weather at some point.
By boarderlib
My boy has been growing VFT'S just fine for a year and a half (I believe) in the Phoenix area. Where there's a will, there's a way.

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

rotted S. purpurea rhizome??

www.hccarnivorousplants.co.uk Wow. I wish we […]

SASE is winging its way to you as we speak. Thanks[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!