FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By 00milkcarton00
I bought this plant in december 2017 so 2 and a half months ago? it was from a home depot and had obviously been under watered so when I got it I had snipped off all the dead pitchers and there was 4 left. the 2 biggest ones died but other than that nothing seemed wrong. I misted them atleast 3 times a day and kept the soil well watered with reverse osmosis water. I had someone house sit for me and when i returned my plant was obviously underwatered. all the new growth vines were black so it was as bad as I had gotten it from the store. I thought if I had resumed my old ways of carrying for it it would revive but currently its condition is not good. There are actually 2 plants in 1 pot (Thats how they came in) and one is obviously more damaged than the other. for a few weeks I had hope they would revive but the remaining 2 baby pitchers eventually dried up and now the leaves are starting to dry up and I think there is one tendril that still has hope in the stronger plant but the weaker plants new leaf that hasnt even opened yet is all black and I tried snipping it off but the black spread and now its on the stem. I have also bought sphagnum moss for the upper layer to try to increase humidity. I have seen in previous blogs than someones plant had grown a healthy new leaf right through the dead stem but im not sure if that will happen. I want atleast 1 plant to live but im not sure if it is still trying to recover from the 2 times it was poorly watered or if what I was doing was going to inevitably kill the plant anyway.
as you can see the lower one has a very black dead tip
as you can see the lower one has a very black dead tip
20180304_200813.jpg (645.45 KiB) Viewed 6725 times
Attachments:
you can see the healthier plants new leaf opening up but the tip is black and the new growth is also black but it recently propped up so I think their might be some healthy growth pushing it out still.
you can see the healthier plants new leaf opening up but the tip is black and the new growth is also black but it recently propped up so I think their might be some healthy growth pushing it out still.
20180304_200821.jpg (547.23 KiB) Viewed 6725 times
sorry for such a long post
sorry for such a long post
20180304_200805.jpg (624.09 KiB) Viewed 6725 times
By nimbulan
It's possible the growth point was killed by underwatering. It's not normal for it to be that black in either case. The color of the leaves that are dying back doesn't look right either.

Firstly I'm going to say, stop misting the plant. The plant absolutely does not need it and getting the dead parts wet frequently could cause a fungal infection, if one hasn't started already. Secondly, give the plant more light.

What sort of temperatures has this plant been exposed to?
nimbulan liked this
By Kenneth
It’s possible you over sprayed the plant, I advise you spray away from the growth point as this can rot the new growing tissue. Ontop of each leafs on the ‘stem’ is a bump, or at least on vining nepenthes, these are dormant nodes where new growth will come out of. You may lose the top one but if you can correct the situation one of the dormant nodes on the plant will strike and start growing.
FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!