FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Lukebart02
So I have this Nepenthes x Ventrata and I top dressed it with some wild moss I found cleaned then dried. Is there only certain moss that should be used? By the way the bandaid you see in the corner is actually keeping the tendril and leave alive and stable because it was damaged during shipping!
Attachments:
55A6C7A8-7D6F-41D6-9D1D-C2A9AB154DC3.jpeg
55A6C7A8-7D6F-41D6-9D1D-C2A9AB154DC3.jpeg (190.65 KiB) Viewed 1702 times
By Dredd93
Most people grow nepenthes with live sphagnum moss, I can suggest you to be careful with where you pick the moss, sometimes it already contains fungus.
Yours looks like any typical moss and it shouldn't hurt your plant (looking good BTW) .

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk
Dredd93 liked this
By somerandomband
There are a few different types of spaghnum moss. Carnivorous plants looove it!

This is where I get mine. I've put all of my nepenthes in them besides my ventricosa. She's sitting in a blend of 50% spahgnum moss, 10%perlite and 40% play sand. https://m.ebay.com/orderDetails?itemId= ... 5921311003 both seem to work really well for them. My ventricosa and tal. X rob. Went from one or no pitchers to several after repotting them into the good stuff :)
100 points for being creative!!!
somerandomband liked this
By Lukebart02
Dredd93 wrote:Most people grow nepenthes with live sphagnum moss, I can suggest you to be careful with where you pick the moss, sometimes it already contains fungus.
Yours looks like any typical moss and it shouldn't hurt your plant (looking good BTW) .

Thanks! It hasn’t made another pitcher in weeks though! I spray the tendrils everyday and they get adequate light so I wonder why?
By Dredd93
Lukebart02 wrote:
Dredd93 wrote:Most people grow nepenthes with live sphagnum moss, I can suggest you to be careful with where you pick the moss, sometimes it already contains fungus.

Thanks! It hasn’t made another pitcher in weeks though! I spray the tendrils everyday and they get adequate light so I wonder why?
Other factor you should look for is light, how much your plant get it?
And what's the temperature like?
Have you transplanted it recently?

My N. x Ventrata stops pitchering if I stop watering for three consecutive days, the pitchers dry out and get burnt easily.
But as long as it has water and good light it explodes in growth.

By Lukebart02
Dredd93 wrote:
Lukebart02 wrote:

Other factor you should look for is light, how much your plant get it?
And what's the temperature like?
Have you transplanted it recently?

My N. x Ventrata stops pitchering if I stop watering for three consecutive days, the pitchers dry out and get burnt easily.
But as long as it has water and good light it explodes in growth.

My plant gets about 10 hours of light a day. The temperature is 68-72 degrees but it’s in a bright window and gets s little warmer during midday. It’s watered enough so idk. It might just be subtle growth daily that I just don’t notice!
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!