FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Jeremias159
Hey guys!

So far i have only ever successfully grown all sorts of types of Nepenthes and Venus fly traps.
I have recently purchased this plant and now because of certain circumstances this plant now has a lot of meaning too me. I've tried to care for one of these before but without luck (it died). This one seems to be doing better than my last one but not quite as good as id like it to be growing. Its been growing for about a month at my place now and has developed a number of pitchers but they seem too die straight away after fully growing (see picture). I dont have a green house here in New Zealand (Bay of plenty) but all my Nepenthes are growing massively without one. Thoughts? Do you guys have any pointers on how too look after her? Is the pot fine it came in? As i said after recent events with relationship issues this plant now has a huge value too me so I really want too keep it alive.
28208176_1895079034137993_740881765_o.jpg
28208176_1895079034137993_740881765_o.jpg (99.24 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
Thanks,
Jeremias
By Secretariat73
It looks like your sarracenia has some psittacina genes in it.

Your sarr will want more light and more water than a flytrap. Sarrs do best outside in full sun because of their high light requirements. Without strong light, the plant will produce weak growth that lacks color and may eventually die. Sarrs also love water, and it looks like your plant might have had some drier spells. Keep the plant sitting in a saucer of water at all times. While its container might work for now (assuming it has a drain hole), the plant will want something larger once its growth really takes off.

Good luck!
Secretariat73 liked this
By boarderlib
I agree, step up to a real pot with a peat mix. It'll be next to impossible to keep that plant happy in that cup. That little bit of media will dry out really fast once the sun hits it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
boarderlib liked this
By Jeremias159
Do i have to go to a peat mix or could I keep using the sphagnum moss that its in at the moment? I grow all my other plants in pure sphagnum moss and it would make it a lot easier for me not to start messing around with peat mix
By Secretariat73
Sarrs will grow just fine in long fiber sphagnum moss. The airy moss will encourage root growth, but it will dry out faster and deteriorate more quickly than a peat mix. I would recommend a 6-inch diameter pot at a minimum. Even better would be a one gallon nursery pot. Never let the planting media dry out.

If I am not mistaken, that sure looks like a flower stalk coming up. So, the plant might be thinking spring is around the corner instead of fall. If that is the case, the sarr might begin going dormant in a few weeks when it realizes it has its seasons mixed up, and most... if not all... growth will cease before resuming in the spring. Consider clipping the flower stalk (once it is tall enough to clip) if the plant is still recovering. That way, it can concentrate on developing strong roots. :)
Secretariat73 liked this
By steve booth
As others have said, plenty of rain water, stand outside in full sun. The pot does look small, just put the whole pot ball into a larger pot with your Sphagnum to minimise root damage.
Not sure what you winters are like but if you have 0-10C you can have dormancy outside too.
Good luck with it.
Cheers
Steve

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

After sealing the wood, I would line the top pa[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!