FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By nuck
I have tried tasting the liquid in my Nepenthes, along with the nectar on the lips of them as well. The nectar was sweet and sticky, obviously. I can't remember the taste of the acids, but considering I fed my Nepenthe a lot of weird crap back in the day, I didn't try it again after that. For anybody who is curious, no I did not drink it with the prey inside.

I did chew on a VFT leaf before as well.. and I also tried smoking one.. out of curiosity of course.
nuck liked this
By 7-ate-9
I feel like I remember reading that some aboriginal culture(s) ate sundews, not sure what part though (root, leaf, etc.). I also remember reading that people would drink the liquid of unopened Nepenthes pitchers for the water. No idea if either of those are true.
I have definitely seen photos of Nepenthes pitchers stuffed with rice, which the poster was presumably planning to eat.
7-ate-9 liked this
By animalisterra
I have thought about tasting the dew on my capensis before. After looking inside one of my Neps and seeing the corpses of dead flies and bugs, I don't think I will ever have the idea of drinking the fluid inside. The nectar on the lid sounds tasty though! :lol:
By Shelilla
I know this thread is old, but I had to share something new! Today I was inspecting the pitchers of my nep babies and one happened to be very very sappy like some are, with that sticky stuff on the outside and I was considering washing my hands then just suddenly out of pure curiosity I licked my finger and it tastes sweet!
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
One time I found small drops of dew on the leaf of my nepenthes. I touched it thinking it was water, but to my suprise, it was sticky. I then decided to taste it for some reason, and it was sweet! I think some nepenthes have nectar glands on their leaves, so maybe it was that.
By Shelilla
Yes, my N. ventrata produces a lot because it is in a much drier climate than it should be and it sort of compensates with sugars I think, as all my neps seem to do this especially when it gets dry. Recently I finally got it a large bag to cover all of it for some extra humidity, but what I did not expect or realize was that black mold started eating at all the "sap" and dead parts of it! I had to unbag it and clean all the stuff off. I'm hoping it'll slowly adjust and now that I've cleaned off all the sugary parts, will stop producing so much and stop the mold issue. We'll see.

Additionally, I discovered yesterday while I was replanting a bunch of my young nepenthes hybrids, that some plants can have different pitcher fluid! I was emptying their pitchers so as not to make a huge mess, and while most of them contained the typical clear, waterlike fluid, one plant in particular had strange, very yellow and very goopy liquid in all of it's pitchers. Fascinating, as I never knew that even pitcher fluid could be a trait for nepenthes.
By Caramelmarkie
I tried the nepenthes fluid from a closed pitcher when I was doing my bachelors thesis with them. They were found from the wild and the pitchers were sterile. Our guides then said they get some water from these pitchers in case of emergency. The taste was inexplicable. Just rough to the throat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Caramelmarkie liked this
By Shelilla
Caramelmarkie wrote:I tried the nepenthes fluid from a closed pitcher when I was doing my bachelors thesis with them. They were found from the wild and the pitchers were sterile. Our guides then said they get some water from these pitchers in case of emergency. The taste was inexplicable. Just rough to the throat.

I'm curious- what sort of thesis was this? :lol: And what university/college? Did you get to go to asia?
By Caramelmarkie
Shelilla wrote:
Caramelmarkie wrote:I tried the nepenthes fluid from a closed pitcher when I was doing my bachelors thesis with them. They were found from the wild and the pitchers were sterile. Our guides then said they get some water from these pitchers in case of emergency. The taste was inexplicable. Just rough to the throat.

I'm curious- what sort of thesis was this? :lol: And what university/college? Did you get to go to asia?
It was the use of molecular data to sort the differences between the species. Either will they group together or split. Anyway, they were the same species. Hahaha

I went to a Philippine university. Why?

Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!