FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Arctic
I usually grow my CPs under T8 fluorescents but due to a space issue at the moment they've been moved to the corner under two 50 watt high pressure sodium bulbs. It's bright enough and I don't think heat will be an issue, I just hope they don't mind the redder spectrum. Anyone else using HPS? Anyone ever try it?
090311052933.jpg
090311052933.jpg (297.95 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
By Daniel_G
I've seen someone convert a bedroom into a Nepenthes room. And grew them all under HPS bulbs.
Daniel_G liked this
By Arctic
The plants have been under the HPS since I started this thread. Looks like it's been a week now. I'm ready to report my results. First the Nepenthe: No change. The plant continues to grow happily. It seems to like the new light. The sundews I've had variable results from. My capensis is growing as good or better than before under the fluorescents with basically no change. It might be growing a little faster. My aliciae seemed to absorb a bunch of light and seemed to be doing well, but I noticed that the new leaves wouldn't uncurl. Under the fluorescent light the aliciae's leaves would unfold as they grew, but under the HPS they were growing all curled up in the middle. I put it in a shady spot and the leaves opened showing long healthy dewstalks, but quickly caught enough gnats that they curled back up full of bugs. It seems a bit too bright for the aliciae. My Intermedia is hard to report on as it seems to have decided weeks ago that it doesn't even need to make leaves any more in favor of focusing on flower stalks and divisions instead. It continues to crank out flower stalks and plantlets. The small new plants are growing well under the HPS. The intermedia is a monster and doesn't even seem to notice the change in light. I had some byblis sprout in a windowsill a few days ago and I put them down under the growlights because we've been getting rain for several days now, the remnants of the hurricane. The byblis sprouts are growing fine under the new light. Finally my flytraps: Drastic change. The flytraps once put under the HPS started making new traps at an accelerated rate. The new growth is more compact and has much wider petioles. The older traps on my plants have died off, apparently from sunburn, but have been replaced by new much different looking ones. My Dentate has started growing traps with much shorter teeth, and it now grows kind of squat while before it was very erect. My Big Mouth used to look like a tangled little ball of sadness but it's started making a decent rosette of healthy ground hugging traps. The biggest difference is in my very young flytraps. My tiny Dentate division and my little FineToothxRed and Dutch Delight plants are much happier under the new light.
Still Happy.
Still Happy.
ReinwardtianaHps.jpg (250.91 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
New leaves clustered in the center afraid to open
New leaves clustered in the center afraid to open
090811012452.jpg (231.38 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
New leaves curled up.
New leaves curled up.
090811012433.jpg (248.91 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
unusually developed for a closed leaf.
unusually developed for a closed leaf.
090811012552.jpg (283.51 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Look how much wider the new leaves are compared to the older ones on these B52!
Look how much wider the new leaves are compared to the older ones on these B52!
090811012046.jpg (264.01 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
090811012134.jpg
090811012134.jpg (260.1 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Big Mouth showing the wider new HPS growth pattern.
Big Mouth showing the wider new HPS growth pattern.
BigmouthHps.jpg (250.2 KiB) Viewed 3637 times
Arctic liked this
By Alyss
Hello, I'm currently running a hps 400 watt light. I just got my first Venus flytrap and don't see much light could I put it in my "plant room"? And if so for how long?
Thank you, Alyss
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!