FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By -twillyranger-
I know this sounds like a dumb question but do Cephalotus require dormancy? I have read online that they do need dormancy and that they don't, some say that they just slow down growth. Can someone please clear this up? I am thinking about purchasing some and I want to know before I buy.
By corky
In my experience they don't, but won't flower without and grow better with dormancy, they really seem to explode into growth after a cooler period with less daylight hours
By riveraXVX
from everything I've read, a rest period for them is what will likely help maintain longterm health and prevent the "well I've had this ceph for like five years and it never had an issue then it just died out of nowhere within a couple days"

keep in mind this is all from reading though as we've only had ceph's in the house for...2 months now
By Huntsmanshorn
And so, as you can see, there is no definitive answer. Part of the problem is that it kind of depends on your conditions, however, In my opinion, you should do dormancy if it is possible but if it is not possible then take some leaf pulling and proceed with caution. How is that for a wishy-washy answer.
By -twillyranger-
Well, thank you so much for responding so quickly! I think I will be able to provide a dormancy, but at what temperature and how long of a photoperiod do they need to go through dormancy?
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!