FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By PiranhaPlanter1
There's no true relavency to this post but it is solely to do with Venus flytraps.
Call it a blog?

I dream of a day where the protected areas become overpopulated to the point of giving growers NOT poachers the opportunity of a lifetime much like Matt to visit one for a fee and be allowed under strict supervision to harvest 1 plant.
This dormancy has driven me crazy because i was finally able to purchase non typical cultivars without an expensive hassle just before winter hit.

It's been 4 years now and my passion for the plant has not been moved one bit!
I wish times weren't so difficult and we could bring some plants to offer the gardens in pots and plant them ourselves. Wouldn't that be neat? All fantasy as the laws are getting more strict but a grower can dream.
I dream of a day where Venus flytraps are no longer on the brink of extinction in the wild.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
By nimbulan
Even if the wild population was that large and it were legal, it's never a good idea to dig up plants out of the wild and bring them home. They often won't survive the sudden environmental change.
By riveraXVX
not to mention its not like venus fly traps grew almost extinct in a large swatch of land in tons of places, they were really only native to one small isolated area of the world. they were displaced by land use and poachers from the small areas they were in
By PiranhaPlanter1
But all that being said. Matt dug up plants and propogated them promising to return some. So given that the people check out alright just like Mathew. And can prove themselves as experienced growers.
Let's also take what I originally posted into consideration. It should be more beneficial than not. A couple of native flytraps taken for 50-100 flytraps propogated and returned from the mother plants via growers. All these growers pitching in and being able to get plants with wild genetics helping to repopulate and still benefit at home. It seems lovely. As for the plants not surviving at home that's controversial if Matt could comment and tell us how his survived that would be one step. Also, often doesn't mean always. As Matt stated the soil was interesting. Soil samples and an understanding of the land and how the ecosystem works would be the next step I. Success. After all we have to acclimate plants shipped to us to thrive in each of our own homelands and have had much success. If we could break the cycle of "just don't do it" and look at it from a more scientific approach there's no reason to disregard what Im Saying.

Suddenly I'm taken by another idea. Cross pollinating wild plants with domesticated plants.
As stated this is all simple conversation ideas that can only be shared with people on this forum.

By PiranhaPlanter1
nimbulan wrote:Even if the wild population was that large and it were legal, it's never a good idea to dig up plants out of the wild and bring them home. They often won't survive the sudden environmental change.
Great response, what are your thoughts on taking a leaf pulling and throwing it into tissue culture without removing a plant? This way the plants stay there and can still be propogated by growers.

By PiranhaPlanter1
riveraXVX wrote:not to mention its not like venus fly traps grew almost extinct in a large swatch of land in tons of places, they were really only native to one small isolated area of the world. they were displaced by land use and poachers from the small areas they were in
Which is why I encourage people living in that state to attempt to mass propogate these plants in their homeland and begin recreating natural environments for them.
It isn't impossible. North Carolinas mascot is Venus flytraps, I feel it's their responsibility to do so.
More research needs to be done.
I hope to see improvement over the years.

By KategoricalKarnivore
And what would your feelings be when one of those flytraps that were grown at someone’s home get planted in their native habitat and just so happens to bring a pest insect/fungus/algae/etc that wipes out the entire population of wild flytraps?
By nimbulan
Replanting efforts are tricky. You can't just create new habitat for the plants - carnivorous plant habitats are very specialized and easily disrupted by human development. One small developed area can have a large impact on a wide area of land around it and downstream, an impact that can't be reversed without returning the developed land to its original state which just won't happen.

On top of that you have to combat poachers, since they can follow the replanting teams for easy pickings.

Also who are we talking about?
By PiranhaPlanter1
nimbulan wrote:Replanting efforts are tricky. You can't just create new habitat for the plants - carnivorous plant habitats are very specialized and easily disrupted by human development. One small developed area can have a large impact on a wide area of land around it and downstream, an impact that can't be reversed without returning the developed land to its original state which just won't happen.

On top of that you have to combat poachers, since they can follow the replanting teams for easy pickings.

Also who are we talking about?
I've seen your post but Im heading out now I will reply a bit later.

By riveraXVX
it is a lot tougher to return a habitat how it use to look especially with them being drained/stripped and are now covered in those pesky lil things like businesses, roads, and houses sitting on top of what were those areas.

you keep speaking of the area Matt got permission for also, Rehder is not a natural area or some large reserve, it is literally a tiny tiny tiny area that is nestled in the middle of a city with a school built up and nestled directly behind it.

when it was first started as a persons love for the plants project the area was perfect and there was nothing else around it, the city moved in and new surrounds/engulfs everything around it. read up on the garden its a cool story.
riveraXVX, riveraXVX liked this
By hollyhock
I appreciate the "heart" of this post and the concept of what I think you are trying to say. I have to agree with most of the responses. All that aside I believe that the best way to grow these plants is via seed propagation. You can get some very interesting crosses and plants and even have a chance to get such a unique plant that may someday be a named cultivar. Let the plants in the wild thrive where they were intended to grow without interruption and introducing something non native. I understand that you don't want to see them on the endangered species list. (But they already are on such a list) The concept is great but there are so many variables that makes it just a dream... Don't get me wrong I understand completely what you are saying... :)
By PiranhaPlanter1
Wonderful responses everyone (: yes this post is a dream for sure, and I don't see it ever coming to fruition.
Humans fighting humans for the sake of the earth has to be the dumbest thing I witness these days.
We can fight for human rights, equality, etc, but even if everybody was happy with eachother it won't matter of there's no world to enjoy it on. Definitely alot of heart in this post, I've been so depressed with the state of the world lately these plants and my kiddos are what's keeping me going. Thanks for helping me kind of give my head a shake everyone, I truly appreciate the responses. For now I'll be focusing on my Main Goal of being the first supplier in Winnipeg. If any of you venture down to this harsh climate feel free to PM me if you'd like to come view my collection and if your already in Canada I'd love to present you with a gift from my garden. I plan on visiting quite a few places in the future including Matt and Leah's flytrap ranch, I've been wanting to go there since I first joined this forum, Matt and Leah have been very helpful and Matt is just as addicted to these plants as I. Hey matt if your reading this I don't follow pop culture so your my celebrity man.

May spring come quick and our plants awaken soon.

By PiranhaPlanter1
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:And what would your feelings be when one of those flytraps that were grown at someone’s home get planted in their native habitat and just so happens to bring a pest insect/fungus/algae/etc that wipes out the entire population of wild flytraps?
Valid point Kate, I beleive I've been checkmated there. I was actually stumped on a response (:

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!