FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By animalisterra
These pictures are the first three days of its first leaf. I think it is a Drosera capillaris. What are your ideas. When to replant and the best medium would be great information too. Im thinking of using a mix of sphagnum and perlite.
Attachments:
IMG_8234.jpg
IMG_8234.jpg (3.02 MiB) Viewed 3877 times
IMG_8216.jpg
IMG_8216.jpg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 3877 times
IMG_8209.jpg
IMG_8209.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 3877 times
By Bhart90
Well obviously impossible at thos stage. But for sh....and giggles im going to drosera capensis alba
By animalisterra
I will post a picture when it is more mature. Any idea on what medium to use or when to replant it? I only have sphagnum and perlite available right now. Will this work?
By KategoricalKarnivore
Come back in a few months and someone may be able to ID it. I use just pure long fiber sphagnum for most of my sundews. You can add some perlite if you want but it’s not really necessary.
By KategoricalKarnivore
You can repot anytime you want into it’s permanent pot. Just be careful not to break the roots.
By animalisterra
My last questions. Do you keep them in a tray of water? Does it need the same amount of sun as a VFT? Should I keep the top of the pot open? Should I mist it often? Can I plant it in a net pot? Will feeding it this early result in faster growth?
Last edited by animalisterra on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By animalisterra
Also, do they need dormancy? This question answered and my other questions above would be helpful.
By Shadowtski
animalisterra wrote:Also, do they need dormancy? This question answered and my other questions above would be helpful.

My last questions. Do you keep them in a tray of water? Does it need the same amount of sun as a VFT? Should I keep the top of the pot open? Should I mist it often? Can I plant it in a net pot? Will feeding it this early result in faster growth?
Without knowing the species, it's impossible to know if dormancy is required.
Most Drosera, including Sub-Tropical tolerate shorter photoperiods and cooler temperatures over Winter, so you won't hurt it by subjecting it to these conditions.

I keep my Drosera in water trays year round but with less water in the tray over Winter.

With few exceptions, Drosera appreciate full sun or as much light as you can give them.

Usually, you want to keep the pot top open to allow air circulation and prevent mold/fungus growth.

Misting is not needed. If there is enough light, the plant will produce dew.

I have no opinion on net pots, I never used them.

Feeding them will help growth, BUT extra care is needed to avoid over-feeding them. My rule of thumb is to feed a leaf with a bug that covers 25% of a leaf's surface area.

Growing techniques vary tremendously from person to person.
These answers are my personal opinion, nothing more.
I just thought I'd toss in my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!