FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By somerandomband
My grandmother has several healthy orchids and she also had these ones.... she said they needed help and wanted me to fix them...I don't know a single thing about orchids!
Here's what she gave me...
What? Are these roots?
What? Are these roots?
20180126_195320.jpg (435.56 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
at these growths roots? One of them seems like it may have root rot, but still healthy growth points. The other upright one seems healthier.
I added more dirt..
I added more dirt..
20180126_200240.jpg (627.94 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
Hmmm
Hmmm
20180126_200219.jpg (568.32 KiB) Viewed 3098 times
I put some of my carnivorous plant mix in on top of the really low, dry soil and added an ice cube. I really have no idea what to do with them though. Help!
By Hungry Plants
They look like they need repotting. The growths are roots. As long as they are firm they are good. If they are soft and papery they are dead. Pull them out of there pots and get a pot that is one-two times bigger. They are Philanopsis if you didn't know. They like to be wet, not soggy. Let them dry out a bit between watering. I like to use LFS with a little perlite mixed in. Also, like to pot them when its dry. Toss some in the bottom of your pot. Hold the Orchid at the hight you need it and pack in the LFS around the roots. Pack it nice and snug. Its ok and good to leaf those long roots hanging out. When you pull them out clean all the old potting mix off and trim any dead roots off. If there isn't much to hold it up you can stake it so its sturdy. Roots will grow back and steady it up. The color of the leaves looks like it's been getting wat to much light to me. The like bright indirect light. I like to place mine to the direct left or right of a window or of the room has a good bright spot across the room from a window that will work as well. If you have any other questions just PM me and I will do my best to help. Good luck and good growing.
Hungry Plants liked this
By somerandomband
Thank you so much! I have some perfect sized pots I can repot them into. I just got them this evening so I'm thankful for your response. The sooner I can help them, the better! And yes I was curious what type they were. The one that isn't right side up has some roots that seen a little squishy. I figured they may be dead. I will trim the squishy ones and do an in depth job of trimming when repotting them. My grandmother has all of here growing in a huge bright window that gets sunlight most of the day, so I will adjust and put them In my living room window that only gets about 4 hours of indirect light. Thank you! I'm excited to see what comes from these two guys :)
By Ellice
somerandomband wrote:Thank you so much! I have some perfect sized pots I can repot them into. I just got them this evening so I'm thankful for your response. The sooner I can help them, the better! And yes I was curious what type they were. The one that isn't right side up has some roots that seen a little squishy. I figured they may be dead. I will trim the squishy ones and do an in depth job of trimming when repotting them. My grandmother has all of here growing in a huge bright window that gets sunlight most of the day, so I will adjust and put them In my living room window that only gets about 4 hours of indirect light. Thank you! I'm excited to see what comes from these two guys :)
I also suggest you browse the internet for info on phal care. There’s plenty out there that will help you get these guys back to good health. I personally prefer using orchid bark because it helps prevent root rot. The way you water is different from other house plants: soak in fertilizer water for a few minutes once a weekish and then allow to drain. I supplement with some ice cubes if it gets dry between regular watering times. In the wild, these orchids grow on trees - so their roots tend to be exposed to air and dim light. Bark in a pot that allows light in (has holes or is clear) best duplicates these conditions. Good luck and hope these produce lovely spikes for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ellice liked this

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!