FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By pyroswolf1
Hello to everyone what happens after sarracenia's pitcher caught too many prey or a very big bug stuck on the begining of the pitcher and we know that bacterias works with sarrs they can rot prey but how can sarrs get nutritions also how much fluid can be secreted by a pitcher. One solition can be rain or dew but indoor sarrs have a problem i think.
By EGROEG
If sarracenias catch an insect quite big, it may develop brown damage marks which lead to eventual rotting. As for a pitcher that has caught too many insects, that pitcher will flop down to the side, no longer staying upright and will eventually die and rot off. And as you said, yes, they rot their prey, but with the help of bacteria. Sarracenias get their nutrition by absorbing the resulting soup. It is true that water helps with sarracenia's digestion, but when you see species like flava that have a top leafy operculum covering the top of their pitcher opening, that means the pitcher doesnt want liquid inside it; that top leafy operculum covers the pitcher's opening when rain comes from atop. However, something like a purpurea has a hood like opening instead, doesnt mind having water, which allows rain to fall in. But there is no need to especially fill up a pitcher with water, as most sarracenia's stay generally dry inside and use bacteria within the pitcher itself to break through the insect's membranes. Because Sarracenia's arent really efficient in digesting their victims, most species usually rely on bacteria which do the digesting for it, with the plant absorbing the decomposed molecules from the bacteria within it. Keeping Sarracenias indoors doesnt really affect their ability to digest, apart from the fact that they wont be able to catch as many insects and may not be able to work as efficient as a healthy sar recieving a lot of direct sunlight outdoors. Sunlight really helps carnivorous plants have their energy to digest insects, and never should Sarracenias be kept indoors; it just wont thrive.

Hope that helped clarify some questions :) Greetings from Australia!
EGROEG liked this

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!