FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By EGROEG
Hi everyone! I am thinking on taking on a heliamphora (perhaps heliamphora heterodoxa x minor, theres also the choice of heliamphora tatei and heliamphora nutans). I know that the plant needs a great amount of direct sunlight along with cold weather (about 7-23 degrees), with 95% humidity. However, while there is good sunlight in Australia in the summertime, it can also become catastrophically hot, therefore killing off the heliamphora and raising a dilemma, so im thinking of tackling this problem with compacted fluorescent bulbs. I am not sure what kind of compacted fluorescent light bulb to get. How many watts should it be and how many lumens should it be projecting? should it be a warm light bulb (2700K) or a cool one (4100K) and what is the difference? Or should i perhaps use both warm and cool light bulbs on top of the plant?

I know the light bulb will need to be left for at least 12 hours everyday, but i worry that will be too expensive. If so, are there any cheaper alternatives? Do let me know what you guys think. Thanks :)
By SundewWolf
They don't need too much light to grow well, so you won't need to go crazy with it. CFL is enough for them, i keep my bulbs about 5 or 6 inches away from the plants. I think the "daylight" range is probably the best option for leaf growth (5000-6500 K), and the lumens should be at least 1400. I use Sylvania brand CFL bulbs. The hardware stores have also started carrying these larger LED bulbs which start at 5000 lumens so thats also a decent option. Right now i've got one that I'm trying out: GT-Lite High lumen LED bulb (300 watt replacement, uses 50 W).
By EGROEG
Ok thanks! So the cfl should be daylight range with 5000k-6500k and release 1400 lumens; apparently people say with a lower amount (3000k) itll colour up to be more red, is that true? also, is 40 watts a good amount for the cfl?
By SundewWolf
Anything in the 5000K - 6500K range. If the K number on the box falls between those two it should be good. I have also heard that the lower K range promotes red color but I never bothered to find out if it's true. To me the leaf growth was more important than a red color and anyways if the intensity (lumens) are high enough you will get some coloration anyways. 40 Watts should be good, to be honest I never even paid attention to that value, I just know my bulbs vary from 30 W, to 50 W, to whatever my T5's are.

I also have tried these LED grow bulbs (1 out of 4 lights on my Heli terrarium is the LED) and one above my petiolaris sundew terrarium and they are pretty good at coloring up plants. To be honest, I might just switch all my CFLs to this or something similar next year: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Spectrum- ... SwTA9X4laU
By EGROEG
Hmm ok, and how much will you have to pay to have a cfl light on the plant for 12 hours a day? I worry it’s too expensive
By EGROEG
Actually, just checked and if this seems correct for a 40 watt cfl to be used 20 hours a day, it should only cost approx $174.72 a year. Guess that's not too bad if that's the case :)
By Apprz
i use a 100w 6500k for my heliamphora she gets red uder this ligth

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
By EGROEG
Ahh ok, and the 100 watt light with 6500K is cfl or a led light? Also, how many lumens for that light and would it be a cool tone rather than a warm one?
By SundewWolf
Sorry for not replying, I tried to find the box but must have thrown them all out. On the back it says exactly how much power the bulb uses per hour. I might check the next time I'm at the store.

Not sure what to say about the other person's bulb in terms of lumens, but 6500K = cool tone.
By EGROEG
I just strolled down to my local shops by myself (only a few minutes walk) and went to look at some light bulbs. Couldnt find any cfl with 40 watts and 6500K, but i think I found one possible cfl bulb, but not sure if its K spectrum is wide enough (wasnt 6500K). Its a cool tone whitish light, it has 23 watts and 1610 lumens. But the K range however was only 4100K and not 6500K. Will that lightbulb be okay to use on a heli?
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!