FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
I have two pots with a bunch of plants in it. Both pots have many dormant plants and they also both have Drosera Capensis in them. How do I go about repotting without messing with the plants TOO much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Shadowtski
It's not going to be easy any way you do it.
The roots are probably completely tangle together.

The Sarracenia is dormant, the capensis are bulletproof-indestructible, and I think I see some sturdy binata in there also.

I'd pull the whole mess out of the pot and use a hose to blast off the media around the roots until you end up with just a root-ball.

Starting at the outside, work your way in towards the center, trying to pull out one plant at a time.

If you break off a few roots, don't worry.

After you get them separated, pot them up individually and you're good to go.

That's my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Shadowtski liked this
By Frothy_Milk
Shadowtski wrote:It's not going to be easy any way you do it.
The roots are probably completely tangle together.

The Sarracenia is dormant, the capensis are bulletproof-indestructible, and I think I see some sturdy binata in there also.

I'd pull the whole mess out of the pot and use a hose to blast off the media around the roots until you end up with just a root-ball.

Starting at the outside, work your way in towards the center, trying to pull out one plant at a time.

If you break off a few roots, don't worry.

After you get them separated, pot them up individually and you're good to go.

That's my two cents worth.

Good growing,
Mike
Alright I’ll do that! Thanks always for the help mike. Image Also if I use a hose to get rid of the media wont it harm the plant since it is high in minerals and all that junk that CPs don’t like??

By Shadowtski
Also if I use a hose to get rid of the media wont it harm the plant since it is high in minerals and all that junk that CPs don’t like??
The roots won't be sitting in it or exposed to it for a long time.

To be 100% sure though, after you blast off the media, you can let the root ball soak in a bowl of clean water for 15 minutes. Swish it around. This'll rinse off any minerals and further soften any media you didn't blow away.

I have a fair number of pots that need this done, myself. But with a 45 Degree day in mid-January, I'm going outside and mixing up a 5 gallon bucket full of peat/sand/perlite for Spring CP planting.

Good growing,
Mike
By Frothy_Milk
Shadowtski wrote:
Also if I use a hose to get rid of the media wont it harm the plant since it is high in minerals and all that junk that CPs don’t like??
The roots won't be sitting in it or exposed to it for a long time.

To be 100% sure though, after you blast off the media, you can let the root ball soak in a bowl of clean water for 15 minutes. Swish it around. This'll rinse off any minerals and further soften any media you didn't blow away.

I have a fair number of pots that need this done, myself. But with a 45 Degree day in mid-January, I'm going outside and mixing up a 5 gallon bucket full of peat/sand/perlite for Spring CP planting.

Good growing,
Mike
Alright thanks, I wasn’t sure if I was able to blast em with a hose or not. I just picked up 3 cubic feet of peat from Home Depot for 12 bucks and have to find some perlite online somewhere without any fertilizers to start repotting. Good luck on your repotting!

By Frothy_Milk
Got some supplies now it’s time to repot over the weekend when I have some more free time because I am studying for finals.

Got 3 cubic feet of peat for 12 bucks at Home Depot. I don’t think I’ll need to buy more for a couple years.

By steve booth
Do as shadowtski suggests, the. The capensis and binata roots will be the fat black roots and the Sarracenia the brown and white ones.
Separate them as best you can, trim the pitchers back to about 100mm and pot up, if you break the black roots off the drosera when separating, don’t worry if the bits of root are cut into 25mm or longer sections and planted just under the surface they will grow and increase your stock.
Cheers
Steve
Perlite from Ebay

The website, http://www.perlagro.co.uk/product/per[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!