Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers
User Avatar
Fly Trap Hunter

 
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 am
Location: Southeastern North Carolina, United States
Thanked: 146 times in 100 posts

Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by Fly Trap Hunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 am

is there any benefits to bottled rain water? or are the benefits realized when it rains. Meaning: would rain water remain nitrogen rich water if bottled?

User Avatar
Smooter80

 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:33 pm
Thanked: 299 times in 230 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by Smooter80 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Rain water has zero nitrogen. The "benefit" would be that it's pure water and rain is also great for helping to flush the media.
Embrace your CP addiction

My photos

My Grow/Trade List

User Avatar
Fly Trap Hunter

 
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 am
Location: Southeastern North Carolina, United States
Thanked: 146 times in 100 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by Fly Trap Hunter » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:24 pm

Smooter80 wrote:Rain water has zero nitrogen. The "benefit" would be that it's pure water and rain is also great for helping to flush the media.

of course rain water has nitrogen in it. https://sciencing.com/rainwater-contain-nitrogen-8461.html

lightening helps produce the nitrogen but its in rain water otherwise.

User Avatar
Smooter80

 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:33 pm
Thanked: 299 times in 230 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by Smooter80 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:43 am

If it's .0001 PPM, I'm going to stick to there is essentially zero nitrogen in rainwater, generally speaking.
Embrace your CP addiction

My photos

My Grow/Trade List

User Avatar
Fly Trap Hunter

 
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 am
Location: Southeastern North Carolina, United States
Thanked: 146 times in 100 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by Fly Trap Hunter » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:04 pm

Smooter80 wrote:If it's .0001 PPM, I'm going to stick to there is essentially zero nitrogen in rainwater, generally speaking.
you didn't read the article did you?
I disagree strongly but its your right to be wrong. so I agree to disagree.

User Avatar
Huntsmanshorn

 
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:32 am
Thanked: 61 times in 52 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by Huntsmanshorn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:49 pm

Now I'm not a chemist and it has been awhile since I took a chemistry class but I believe the nitrogen compounds usually remain in the water until used by plants/animals.

The following users would like to thank Huntsmanshorn for this post
Fly Trap Hunter

User Avatar
Fly Trap Hunter

 
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 am
Location: Southeastern North Carolina, United States
Thanked: 146 times in 100 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by Fly Trap Hunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 am

Huntsmanshorn wrote:Now I'm not a chemist and it has been awhile since I took a chemistry class but I believe the nitrogen compounds usually remain in the water until used by plants/animals.
I think you are right. I read an article where they took the water out of rain and ended up with ammonium and nitrogen and other solids.
my fly traps are noticeably different if I give them rain water over distilled water. I just wondor why don't people bottle and sell rainwater. ? maybe because it rains. lol

User Avatar
Smooter80

 
Posts: 1038
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:33 pm
Thanked: 299 times in 230 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by Smooter80 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:31 am

Yes I read the article, it's only a few paragraphs. Those amounts are minuscule, less than 1 part per 10 million or even 100 million of actual nitrogen in many cases. To find the actual nitrate equivalent of nitrogen, you have to multiply by something like .225. It's not zero, but it's essentially zero. ;)
Embrace your CP addiction

My photos

My Grow/Trade List

User Avatar
Fly Trap Hunter

 
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 am
Location: Southeastern North Carolina, United States
Thanked: 146 times in 100 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by Fly Trap Hunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:05 pm

http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/lib/brochures/nitrogen.pdf
http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/ Why have government agencies monitor nitrogen in rain if it doesn't exist?
new brochure Nitrogen from the Atmosphere http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/lib/brochures/nitrogenAtmos.pdf

User Avatar
Hungry Plants

 
Posts: 1078
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:41 am
Location: Connecticut
Thanked: 180 times in 161 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by Hungry Plants » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:01 pm

I think the point he is trying to make is that there is such a trace amount therefor is it is a moot point. It is so minimal that in our case we would say zero.

User Avatar
PiranhaPlanter1

 
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:21 pm
Thanked: 16 times in 16 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by PiranhaPlanter1 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:22 am

Interesting. Perhaps that miniscule amount is enough for Carnivorous plants since they don't like alot of nutrients.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

User Avatar
Fly Trap Hunter

 
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:56 am
Location: Southeastern North Carolina, United States
Thanked: 146 times in 100 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by Fly Trap Hunter » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:12 pm

PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:Interesting. Perhaps that miniscule amount is enough for Carnivorous plants since they don't like alot of nutrients.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk


http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/lib/brochures/nitrogen.pdf i posted this link a few posts back. if you look on page 3, there is a map of the nitrogen that fell from rainwater in 1978. (im sure there is much more nitrogen in rain today.) if you look at the article, a few paragraphs up on the right, it says Ohio got 7 kilograms per hectare or 6.2 pounds of nitogen per acre. In fly trap country, according to this map, there are some of the highest concentrations of nitrogen in rain.

User Avatar
PiranhaPlanter1

 
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:21 pm
Thanked: 16 times in 16 posts

Re: Does Nitrogen stay in recovered rainwater?

by PiranhaPlanter1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:14 pm

Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:Interesting. Perhaps that miniscule amount is enough for Carnivorous plants since they don't like alot of nutrients.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk


http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/lib/brochures/nitrogen.pdf i posted this link a few posts back. if you look on page 3, there is a map of the nitrogen that fell from rainwater in 1978. (im sure there is much more nitrogen in rain today.) if you look at the article, a few paragraphs up on the right, it says Ohio got 7 kilograms per hectare or 6.2 pounds of nitogen per acre. In fly trap country, according to this map, there are some of the highest concentrations of nitrogen in rain.
Awesome, now if spring could hurry up!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk


Return to Water Quality, Growing Media and Planting Containers

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests