FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Fly Trap Hunter
Smooter80 wrote:Rain water has zero nitrogen. The "benefit" would be that it's pure water and rain is also great for helping to flush the media.
of course rain water has nitrogen in it. https://sciencing.com/rainwater-contain ... -8461.html

lightening helps produce the nitrogen but its in rain water otherwise.
By Fly Trap Hunter
Smooter80 wrote:If it's .0001 PPM, I'm going to stick to there is essentially zero nitrogen in rainwater, generally speaking.
you didn't read the article did you?
I disagree strongly but its your right to be wrong. so I agree to disagree.
By Fly Trap Hunter
Huntsmanshorn wrote:Now I'm not a chemist and it has been awhile since I took a chemistry class but I believe the nitrogen compounds usually remain in the water until used by plants/animals.
I think you are right. I read an article where they took the water out of rain and ended up with ammonium and nitrogen and other solids.
my fly traps are noticeably different if I give them rain water over distilled water. I just wondor why don't people bottle and sell rainwater. ? maybe because it rains. lol
By Smooter80
Yes I read the article, it's only a few paragraphs. Those amounts are minuscule, less than 1 part per 10 million or even 100 million of actual nitrogen in many cases. To find the actual nitrate equivalent of nitrogen, you have to multiply by something like .225. It's not zero, but it's essentially zero. ;)
By Fly Trap Hunter
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:Interesting. Perhaps that miniscule amount is enough for Carnivorous plants since they don't like alot of nutrients.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/lib/brochures/nitrogen.pdf i posted this link a few posts back. if you look on page 3, there is a map of the nitrogen that fell from rainwater in 1978. (im sure there is much more nitrogen in rain today.) if you look at the article, a few paragraphs up on the right, it says Ohio got 7 kilograms per hectare or 6.2 pounds of nitogen per acre. In fly trap country, according to this map, there are some of the highest concentrations of nitrogen in rain.
By PiranhaPlanter1
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
PiranhaPlanter1 wrote:Interesting. Perhaps that miniscule amount is enough for Carnivorous plants since they don't like alot of nutrients.

http://nadp.sws.uiuc.edu/lib/brochures/nitrogen.pdf i posted this link a few posts back. if you look on page 3, there is a map of the nitrogen that fell from rainwater in 1978. (im sure there is much more nitrogen in rain today.) if you look at the article, a few paragraphs up on the right, it says Ohio got 7 kilograms per hectare or 6.2 pounds of nitogen per acre. In fly trap country, according to this map, there are some of the highest concentrations of nitrogen in rain.
Awesome, now if spring could hurry up!

Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!