FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Orit
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:
Orit wrote:drosera regia, i love you so.
What does the whole plant look like. So the D. Regia is supposed to be the largest drosera. I like my little Capensis Big Pink.
Sorry I took so long! Totally forgot to write back. :? Here it is. I've had it just over a month. There was definitely some shock at first from being shipped bare root and acclimating to my conditions, but it appears to be doing well now. I had a humidity dome over it at first but I think it was too small for those long tentacles and did more harm than good. It's got to be my favorite sundew, and this one is only medium (or smaller now due to acclimating). I just love the way it ties itself into knots over food.
Attachments:
20171205_214053-1-1.jpg
20171205_214053-1-1.jpg (318.54 KiB) Viewed 4004 times
By Fly Trap Hunter
wow. look at the tentacles. My capensis ties knots too. I heard the Burmanni were superfast movers, wrapping around bugs. I'm enjoying my drosera. they are fun. :lol:
By Sakaaaaa
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:wow. look at the tentacles. My capensis ties knots too. I heard the Burmanni were superfast movers, wrapping around bugs. I'm enjoying my drosera. they are fun. :lol:
Regia is one of the best knot-tying plants. I wonder if you can feed them bugs in a certain way such that it makes an actual knot.

Really? I didn't know capensis tied knots. I've never had a long-leafed drosera.

I can confirm, I saw a big fly get caught and couldn't get out, went for a short 15-30 minute-ish walk, and when I came back the burmannii has already wrapped around fully(?)

I am enjoying them too :D

They are by far the easiest CP to grow for me. Possibly easier than Nepenthes in fact. But I don't know.
By Fly Trap Hunter
sorry for the photo bomb Orit.
xmasbow
xmasbow
IMG_7428.JPG (491.88 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
this d.capensis has wrapped a bow around this holiday bug. sorry for poor pics.
capensis
capensis
IMG_7436.JPG (322.89 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
leaves in various stages of wrapping. They send out about 3 leaves a week now. They catch bugs much easier than the flat spatulata because the wind pushes the bugs and the taller leaves catch them.
By Orit
ooh, love the red d capensis, and the contrast with the live sphagnum is very nice. I tried to grow them from seed but a visit out of town a few weeks into it did them in. my cape dews have never knotted like the regia, this is the closest I've gotten. It was the biggest thing they ever caught and held onto. I think it took about 24 hours to curl that far, though the second picture was taken days later. Sounds like the Burmanni could do in real time what Capensis would do in a time lapse!

and call me crazy but i could swear the fly looks sad in the 1st picture.
Attachments:
pic20170831202551.jpg
pic20170831202551.jpg (405.38 KiB) Viewed 3970 times
Orit, Orit, Orit liked this
By Orit
Sakaa, I think you asked about the desert rose a while back and why people liked them so much. Now that mine is blooming, I thought I'd share. I call her Betty and she is deeply loved.

The thing is, this is the most neglected plant in the world. She gets no water for months at a time, but there were also long periods of twice weekly watering. For many years, she was in a pot so small that the base of her trunk was actually slightly bigger than its rim. I had to break it off with a hammer when I finally repotted and she was badly root bound. She's been kept outdoors in full, super strong high altitude sun as well as indoors facing north with heavily tinted windows. She's been through 40 degree nights but was also kept directly on a heating vent for years. Yet through all these extremes, she's not only survived, but surprises me with these huge, gorgeous flowers several times a year.

I had no idea what she was when I bought her as the tag was missing - I just liked her shape - so when she first bloomed years later, my jaw dropped. I love this plant not only for its uniqueness and beauty, but also because it thrives through constant abuse/neglect. I have killed dozens of plants - everything from cacti to bamboo - while Betty keeps going strong.
Attachments:
20171208_120639.jpg
20171208_120639.jpg (209.74 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
20171208_120559-1-1.jpg
20171208_120559-1-1.jpg (210.3 KiB) Viewed 3977 times
By Mawy_Plants
Betty is a beaut! I love the contrast in overall growth. Only the ends have foliage and flowers! Reminds me a lot like plumeria...
Mawy_Plants liked this
By Sakaaaaa
I start to see why people like Adeniums so much now.
They thrive on neglect and have pretty flowers.

I guess I am picky, I consider these as "normal" plants. Classic 5 petaled pink flower.
By Fly Trap Hunter
I have 2 Mamas named Betty. lol 1 is 78 years old. :shock: I see why they call it desert rose. I think Christmas Cactus are similar. They get ignored, not watered, left to bake in the sun. not very pretty plant but when it blooms, it lights up the whole room.
By Mawy_Plants
How're your little clones coming along? Was observing the ones off my stem cutting tonight. Such a neat process!
By Orit
Mawy_Plants wrote:How're your little clones coming along? Was observing the ones off my stem cutting tonight. Such a neat process!
Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been online much due to a loooong family visit and trip. Only 3 out of 10+ of my pygmies flourished for some reason, but here are 2 of the 3. They're adorable, much bigger than my capensis seedlings that are many months older, and I'm very thankful to Dustin for the contest. Your turn to share pictures!
Attachments:
20180106_130114.jpg
20180106_130114.jpg (534.37 KiB) Viewed 3908 times
Orit liked this
By Mawy_Plants
No worries. Hope your Holidays went well! We had lots of family visit too.

I wish I could share some pygmy Drosera babies, don't have any yet, one day! I was actually interested in how your VFT strikes are doing. My older one is coming along well and my other is tiny, seems to be doing well tho. I will hopefully get to post photos tonight!

Maybe there will be some late bloomers? Not sure how gemmae works exactly, if they can still strike or if they dry up. Good thing you've got a few going!
By Orit
I could be wrong but I believe gemmae are living plants, and once they're gone, they're gone. I'm glad to have the three I have. Sorry for the confusion - my flower stalk strikes are doing well. Jaws seems to have spread out quite a bit, but MM hasn't gotten much bigger. I'm sure it's a combination of underwatering while I was out of town a while back and dormancy. I saw your pictures - your strikes look great!

My outside VFTs have been left out in too-cold temps a few times, and completely devoid of light for several days, including for several days in a row on the recent family trip to the mountains. As a result, they show some damage and Megatraps is once again throwing out a mid-dormancy flower stalk, probably due to the less than optimal conditions. Another chance for me to get a strike. Still, I can see that overall most of them are DEEP in dormancy and I'm looking forward to the spring explosion.
By Mawy_Plants
Hope your plants have bounced back since the last post!

On another note, I won some D. scorpioides gemmae on another forum, sowed a few days ago. Really excited to see how those turn out. Now I can share my photos with you! So long they sprout. Lol. How quickly did you see germination?
By Orit
Yaaay, congrats Mawy! looking forward to seeing your pics. It took a few weeks for me to see the first signs of growth. Fingers crossed!
Orit liked this
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!