FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Mawy_Plants
Decided to create my own setup thread. Good way to keep track of my growing collection and changes that come along with expansion.

~Zone 10a, warm summer Mediterranean climate~

Strictly outdoors! At least for now. Thinking of ways to incorporate a high humidity section in our enclosed backyard patio. The mini greenhouse is doing the trick tho!
Taken 11/07
Taken 11/07
IMG_5735.JPG (693.21 KiB) Viewed 4695 times
Repotted the night before, new VFTs are slowly acclimating. My original Nepenthes {Nef} is loving it in there. A pitcher developing and 3 more leaves beginning the process. Added N. sanguinea, hoping recovery is going well. Have some S. capillifolium dressed alongside to help with humidity. Random sphagnum heads and hitchhiker moss thrown in little saucers. Andddd a seed grown D. capensis {Octo} that I received from a fellow CP lover just last month!
Taken 11/16
Taken 11/16
IMG_5888.JPG (1002.3 KiB) Viewed 4695 times
Deep in rain water! Anyway, you can clearly see their trays need to be drained. All my plants enjoyed a little flooding this morning/ afternoon. A steady drizzle since the wee hours of the morning (3am according to my weather app). So much so that my sphagnum cultures were floating around. Haha. Whoops... No permanent damage done. I ended up covering my collection after 12hrs or so of binge drinking.

Finally got around to removing their trays. Expect for the Sarracenia. Covered them up to prevent more watering. Now to utilize all this rain I've collected...
By PitBulMom
Lookin' GOOD!
Wish I could collect some rainwater! It has not rained here for over 3 months!:(
By Newbiegrower17
Hey I just started my growstation also but I'm trying to get my lighting together. I have a mars hydro reflector 240 watt 4600 plus lumens . Is that stronger enough to grow a shelve full of plants and how far should I have the light from them? I have pics
By riveraXVX
Newbiegrower17 wrote:Hey I just started my growstation also but I'm trying to get my lighting together. I have a mars hydro reflector 240 watt 4600 plus lumens . Is that stronger enough to grow a shelve full of plants and how far should I have the light from them? I have pics
the plants here are all grown outdoors, no grow lights above, perhaps start a thread in the questions section or the lighting section for more on what you are asking!
By Mawy_Plants
PitBulMom wrote:Lookin' GOOD!
Wish I could collect some rainwater! It has not rained here for over 3 months!:(
I STILL have water remaining from last time I collected. Could only imagine those who collect in an area with frequent rains! Anyway, thanks! It'll be forever changing, but really happy with it right now. It's not how it's normally set up, just moved them around to get more rain. My littlest ones aren't pictured either. I'm just waiting to get my seeds going so I can add more variety.
mouthstofeed wrote:i like your nepenthes pot
Thanks! I got it from OSH and had a drip tray laying around so put it to use. Decided to raise it a cm or so above the water so it doesn't sit and get waterlogged.

Sorry not able to help you out, Newbiegrower17. I'm still doing research to find what kinda setup would be best suited for me and the space I have. Good luck on your CP journey!

Thanks for chiming in, riveraXVX! Lol. They sure are outdoors, for now! Thinking might have to find a more sheltered location or take both my Nepenthes in side. Maybe with the tropical Drosera too. It'd be neat to maintain their desired temps and watch them continue to grow while the others sleep. Nighttime temps are slowly dropping!
By Mawy_Plants
Temperates of both hemispheres settling in. Going through photos and seeing the drastic change in pitcher color, growth pattern, and just overall phenotype is inspiring. Extremely pleased with how they are all doing.
Taken 11/30
Taken 11/30
IMG_6137.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 4544 times
In my endless stream of photos, I give you the progression ... in reverse order!

Enjoy!
Attachments:
Peep into my mini greenhouse. Nepenthes appreciating the conditions. D. capensis seedlings from Sept. sow, beat up from the rain incident. Fed them since, all doing splendid. Drosera additions from early and late Oct. And new VFT(s) I just had to save! Left pushing out a flower stalk. Will probably remove it when it gets a tad taller. Taken 11/23
Peep into my mini greenhouse. Nepenthes appreciating the conditions. D. capensis seedlings from Sept. sow, beat up from the rain incident. Fed them since, all doing splendid. Drosera additions from early and late Oct. And new VFT(s) I just had to save! Left pushing out a flower stalk. Will probably remove it when it gets a tad taller. Taken 11/23
IMG_6015.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 4544 times
Acclimating the D. capensis sprouts. And the aftermath of neglecting to water Mars for 10 days? Taken 10/20
Acclimating the D. capensis sprouts. And the aftermath of neglecting to water Mars for 10 days? Taken 10/20
IMG_5277.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 4544 times
When I thought covering my Ceph clumps would do anything after 4 weeks of uncovered acclimating. Sunny leaf pullings in the front. Taken 10/02
When I thought covering my Ceph clumps would do anything after 4 weeks of uncovered acclimating. Sunny leaf pullings in the front. Taken 10/02
IMG_4997.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 4544 times
A couple weeks post expansion, added 4 different Genera. (Nepenthes hiding) Taken 09/20
A couple weeks post expansion, added 4 different Genera. (Nepenthes hiding) Taken 09/20
IMG_4845.JPG (1.8 MiB) Viewed 4544 times
1.5 months in. Got Sunny 06/10, Mars 06/17. Taken 07/28
1.5 months in. Got Sunny 06/10, Mars 06/17. Taken 07/28
IMG_4366.JPG (1.7 MiB) Viewed 4544 times
By Newbiegrower17
I started a grow station about a month ago. I been experimenting with a few different light for indoor growing. I first started with. This 19 watt led light from Home Depot. I 1st started with two pots of vft seeds and a few Cati and some suclants. But I needed more light.
Attachments:
IMG_1356.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG (417.97 KiB) Viewed 4521 times
By Mawy_Plants
Newbie, glad to see you were able to get the space going. There's so much info about lights around here and all over the internet, really. Any plans in expanding soon? Waiting to get more lights?
By Newbiegrower17
Actually I been expanding and switching up lights I also made my own light for $40 bucks. Come spring I'll be growing in and outdoors. Check out the light I put together and tell me what u think.
Attachments:
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1417.JPG (731.82 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
IMG_1415.JPG
IMG_1415.JPG (489.61 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
By Mawy_Plants
Ever expanding. Since it's winter and I've noticed that my tropicals have slowed down a bit, I decided I wasn't bout it. Went ahead and made a nice humid bin for some of the gang.

Considering picking up a lamp fixture to get more light. Location gets light throughout the day, just not very intense.

My N. sanguinea seems to have picked back up, hoping these conditions are ideal for all my N. ventricosa cuttings! Snipped the stalk off my newest VFT as well. Threw that in some live sphag, please strike!
Attachments:
Taken 01/04
Taken 01/04
IMG_6573.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4454 times
By Fly Trap Hunter
Newbiegrower17 wrote:Actually I been expanding and switching up lights I also made my own light for $40 bucks. Come spring I'll be growing in and outdoors. Check out the light I put together and tell me what u think.
I think we are being invaded by spaceships. :lol: that's pretty cool. I love making stuff.

Looking good Mawy_Plants That is a nice collection. What is the small red venus fly trap to the left bottom. All your plants look well cared for or Loved if you will!? :lol: Good to see your Cephalotus. Mine is a similar Ruby red(when not brown).

We got rain every day this Summer, so my trays were full all the time. id empty them every few days. Do you have a grow list?
By Mawy_Plants
I second FTH regarding your setup, Newbie. It's pretty neat that you know how to make something like that. I'm into DIY, but not so knowledgeable with electric. Haha
Fly Trap Hunter wrote: Looking good Mawy_Plants That is a nice collection. What is the small red venus fly trap to the left bottom. All your plants look well cared for or Loved if you will!? :lol: Good to see your Cephalotus. Mine is a similar Ruby red(when not brown).

We got rain every day this Summer, so my trays were full all the time. id empty them every few days. Do you have a grow list?
Why thank you! They are quite loved. I go out to check on them at least twice a day, once in the morning and again at night. I usually linger at night.

Anywho, I do have a list. Not yet updated, I should get to that soon. I will be sowing some seeds tonight or tomorrow so I'll add on once that occurs.

It didn't rain too much this summer for us. We've had a few sprinkles this past week tho. I didn't really have my pots sitting in water this season. I watered nearly everyday, it gave me a reason to check up on them. Haha. I may try the tray technique moreso when the heat intensifies. At least for my Sarr.

As for the smaller red VFT, I purchased it from a local grower. He said it's a clone from NC so I'm excited to see how it turns out.

Have I showed you the coloration on my Cephs recently? It's such a stunning ruby color. Similar to that of my S. purpurea shown in this thread. Are yours pushing out any new growth?
By Fly Trap Hunter
My cephalotus browned out back to almost nothing before I realized I needed to keep it in 1 spot and cover it for humidity. its growing now. it seems to like my LEDs. it is growing slow but its obvious that it is growing.

id be interested in anything that came from NC. If you ever see that local guy again, ask him if he can document where he purchased.
By Mawy_Plants
Fly Trap Hunter wrote:My cephalotus browned out back to almost nothing before I realized I needed to keep it in 1 spot and cover it for humidity. its growing now. it seems to like my LEDs. it is growing slow but its obvious that it is growing.

id be interested in anything that came from NC. If you ever see that local guy again, ask him if he can document where he purchased.
Are your LEDs the typical red/ blue bulbs? I'm still trying to decided between LEDs, fluorescent, or CFL. Thing is I have places with really good light in our patio, so that's why I'm not too pressed on getting one.

Good thing your Cephs are doing alright, they are more tough than I thought. My plants just darkened up and some have slightly opened their lid. :D

I'll do my best with getting that info, I too am interested in more accurate data. Either way, I hope it grows up to be a looker!
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!