FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Plecotus
Hi,

New to the board. Been growing CPs for a long time here near Chepstow in the UK. I have a Meixcan Ping. It's probably a very common species, large leaves, purple flowers and purchased from a garden centre year ago. Sits on the windows sill in the kitchen and has done well. Other than rainwater, it gets no special treatent.

A couple of weeks ago, it started to look pretty sick - leaves gpoing very pale and shrinking back. I had a proper look and it's covered in what look to me like White Fly or at least, somethign similar. I know members of this genus are rather intolerant of pesticides so m obvioous question is what CAN I do about it? It's nothing secial but I've had it a long time and I'd like to save it, if I can.

Best wishes....and Happy New Year,

Denis
Plecotus liked this
By Bob Beer
Aphids maybe—they are the worst. Several people I know use systemics with no problem, especially imidacloprid. I’ve actually used homemade tobacco tea - 3 cigarettes shredded and boiled with a cup or so of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bob Beer liked this
By Fly Trap Hunter
Bob Beer wrote:Aphids maybe—they are the worst. Several people I know use systemics with no problem, especially imidacloprid. I’ve actually used homemade tobacco tea - 3 cigarettes shredded and boiled with a cup or so of water.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you come up with the coolest ideas.
By evenwind
Assuming that your planting medium isn't light and floaty, you could try drowning the pests. Put the whole pot in a deep container. Gently fill it up until the entire plant is under water. I usually leave it under water for several hours, sometimes even over night. If this works for you, it has the obvious advantage of not adding chemicals to your growing space.
By PiranhaPlanter1
I've heard cayenne pepper works to make plants and soil less appealing to eat. I'm yet to try this though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
By Huntsmanshorn
I like the "tobacco tea" idea! You could also try putting the whole pot in an airtight plastic bag and filling it with co2. No pesticides, the bugs suffocate and the plant benefits from the co2. Win-Win.
By Benurmanii
I'm not sure if they sell it in Europe, but I've used Bayers 3 in 1 on practically all my pings. It is a really good indoor option because it is one of the least toxic pesticides to mammals, and won't be harming any wildlife inside. I would advise against drowning the pests if the ping is a Mexican ping, but if warm or cold temperate, it would be fine. Pics would help a lot.
Benurmanii liked this
By Bob Beer
The drowning method sounds good in theory but aphids and other pests can actually take a long time to drown!

By jeff
Bonjour

may be a picture ?

your ping seem to be a hybrid may be a x'Sethos' quite common in Europe.

In fact, here we are in winter, this ping is a Mexican so a tropical, push it with a temperature of 5 ° C mini, for my part all mine are at 12 ° C, they are currently dormant with a substrate just slightly wet. Outdoor just from may to october here in europe .

probably a substrate of the peaty genus, infected with sciarids, in my opinion changes substrate, but on adult plants they are not really disturbing .

jeff
jeff liked this
By PiranhaPlanter1
Huntsmanshorn wrote:I like the "tobacco tea" idea! You could also try putting the whole pot in an airtight plastic bag and filling it with co2. No pesticides, the bugs suffocate and the plant benefits from the co2. Win-Win.
That sounds cool.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
By Plecotus
Hi Folks,

Sorry for the late reply. I've been dealing with a dose of 'flu.

Neonic pesticides are banned here I believe and, if not, they should be but that's a topic for another time and place perhaps.

I don't smoke so decided to go down the submersion route. I gave what's left of my plant 12 hours in water at room temperature and will see what happens in the coming weeks. I will keep you posted - and many thanks indeed for all the suggestions.

Cheers and Happy New Year

Denis
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!